Please help me find the right instrument cable

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Hopefully this thread won't be criticized too harshly despite the lame and probably over-analyzed topic. I ask because I see a lot of brands and models that I'm unfamiliar with so hopefully posting here might prevent me from winding up with something I'm not happy with.

What I need is a 10' instrument cable that is supple/ flexible enough to coil easily on the floor, great quality, and regarding the connectors/ plugs... I'm super tired of cables where the connector unscrews all the time.

It's not like I haven't been looking ( Lava, Warm Audio, Mogami, George, ProCo, etc) but when it comes down to actually knowing that a) the plug isn't going to unscrew apart, and b) that the cable will be soft/ flexible enough to coil easily on the floor and c) that it's great quality... I have no idea what's out there that will fit the bill. Black is preferred... I'm not crazy about tweed/ braided/ colored. Also straight to straight preferred or one straight/ one right angle.

So anybody have experience with a cable that'll meet those requirements? Thanks very much in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Not sure about the flexibility, but despite the cost and cork sniffing, monster cable is the shit. I've had a 25ft cable that I've used literally every single day for about 12 years. Not a problem one. The caps haven't come unscrewed, nothings been broken, it's had beer spilled on it countless times, ran over, shot,stabbed,raped,pillaged. Lol all bs aside, they are diffenitely worth the cash.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I'm willing to spend some cash... and I've been leaning towards Mogami due to the quality and design of the connectors... not sure how stiff they are though.

But you know what I mean... There are cables that you can easily get your foot tangled in because they wont coil easily or lay flat.. That's what I'm talking about. I have a few now but they all are a bit on the stiff side and that's what I'm trying to steer away from. And I in fact have a cable currently that is pretty supple but it has the typical connector that seems to always be coming unscrewed.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I've had the best luck and no issues over the past decade plus sticking to Mogami Gold and Planet Waves cables. I keep telling myself that now that I have an Axe FX III and plug straight in, I want to splurge on something like an Evidence Audio Lyric, but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much on a cable, especially considering I've made my peace and have decided to switch back to active pickups almost exclusively.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I use almost exactly what you want. I've did a ton of back and forth testing (by ear and feel) and it's just a basic Horizon cloth cable. The only caveat is I put lock-tight in the threads. I've had the thing for like 15 years and only had to redo the lock tight like 3 times.

https://www.rapcohorizon.com/product/162/cloth-inst-14-14

- Mogami gets a lot of deserved hype. I like those a lot, but I actually liked the Horizon with Swtchcraft jacks better for my guitar to amp because of what I was hearing/feeling. The Mogami was to thin or in the high end for my tastes, but that probably has to do with my specific setup. Unless you get a totally molded cable chances are the jack will come unscrewed at some point.

Mogami hands down has the best 1/4" plugs though, imo, for not coming undone. They still do eventually though. About as much as having to redo lock-tight after a lot of use. If you treat them well though they are superior for sure. If you abuse or are really hard on cables I'd go with something more traditional. The specific Mogami jacks I'm talking about are these.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/products/overdrive-platinum_guitar.php

- Cloth/braded cables coil up nicely and perfectly if you treat them well and don't yank or twist them to bad. Way better than plastic cables. They collect dust bunnies but a micro fiber cloth cleans them up new again.

- I'm not a fan of Monster cables and I'm not sure if Mogami is doing this now or if it's just a marketing thing, but any cable that says "for rock guitar" "for bass" etc. basically sucks, ime. I'm thinking in Mogami's case it's just a marketing thing, but I know with the Monster cables they are actually voiced for a specific instrument etc.. which seems good on the surface, but when you think about it do you really wand your cable messing with you signal like that before you even hit the amp? Screw that. They sound noticably messing with your tone. I can't imagine Mogami would actually do something like this, so probably just marketing on ther end.

- I've tried George L's too. Spent like $100 on some parts and built up some cables. Awesome stuff!, molded and exactly how you'd want (if you build them right). They don't really coil up like a braded cable but they do coil up at least. They're stiffer than cloth but smooth and made of plastic. They are way better than traditional rubber cables. They clean up nice etc, but I don't like the solderless thing. I'd use a George L if I didn't find my Horzion's to be more to my liking, but I'd solder them solid if I did. The George L's nickel/silver plating is realy good qualty too.

https://georgelsstore.com/

-

Last edited:

mongey

Reaction score
Go to eBay. There’s Always loads of guys who make custom cables to order. You get good quality cable and connecters at a much better price.

Mine are all mogami and I really like the cable. Def flexible. Got 4 made , in front of amp and effects loop , for the cost of 1 brand name cable.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Look up Performance Audio. You can order custom cable from there with cabling from Mogami or Canare. I have several Canare made from them with Neutrik jacks and Techflex braided sleeving and they pretty much nuclear proofed tbqh. Very competitive price too, in comparison of like say, buying Mogami cables from Amazon

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I've got some Mogami Silvers that are going strong after more than 10 years.

I use the planet waves cables as well, but those seem to develop a short after a few years in the 20ft option. The patch cables seem quite reliable. They've got molded connectors which sounds like a plus to you.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Tbh I've never even heard of Evidence Audio Lyric. I figured that Mogami was about as high end as cables got. And I think that Mogami is pretty much the top contender thus far. I also had considered using some medium thread-lock a while back but never did... Had considered JB Weld as well. I'm now considering the Horizon as well.

The George cable that I've looked at is the Ls GL225Gtr10. I'm considering it because of the good reviews and because it appears that that the connector won't easily come undone due to utilizing a set-screw.

I may consider looking at Monster just due to the recommendation but I feel like that may not be the one for me.

Another thing that I don't care for with the cables that I'm using now is that along with being somewhat stiff, they tend to have 'memory' that means as they uncoil, they wind up in a corkscrew shape across the floor.. again, a trip hazard that I'm trying to get away from using. Plus I seem to always have to unplug from the guitar so that I can kinda straighten/ flatten them back out. Then they just coil or kink up again as soon as I move around. I guess this is sort of like when you try to wind up a heavy duty electrical/ extension cord... some of them coil easily but some are hard to get coiled neatly.

Genuinely appreciate the recommendations and feedback thus far.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've got some Mogami Silvers that are going strong after more than 10 years.

I use the planet waves cables as well, but those seem to develop a short after a few years in the 20ft option. The patch cables seem quite reliable. They've got molded connectors which sounds like a plus to you.
Yeah I've had a few planet waves cables over the years and I almost always had to repair the connection inside the plug since the set screw would come loose. Once I soldered the wiring in place and used the set screw there was no problem. Never had that problem with my mogamis and I've been using them for the last 6 years.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
All of these posts are sincerely appreciated and I'm going to look into everything that has been suggested.

But for those that have experience with the Mogami cables... I notice two particularly different-looking connectors... the cheaper MCP GT cables with the silver ends and the more expensive gold ones with the black ends. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the gold connectors are in any way significantly better regarding not unscrewing from the housing than the silver ends? Or any other notable difference... suppleness of the actual cable, signal quality, etc?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
All of these posts are sincerely appreciated and I'm going to look into everything that has been suggested.

But for those that have experience with the Mogami cables... I notice two particularly different-looking connectors... the cheaper MCP GT cables with the silver ends and the more expensive gold ones with the black ends. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the gold connectors are in any way significantly better regarding not unscrewing from the housing than the silver ends? Or any other notable difference... suppleness of the actual cable, signal quality, etc?
I own some silver plated ones and multiple gold plated ones. Gold plating is mostly a gimmick tbh.
Some have neutrik connectors molded over so you can't easily access the connection point, others are more screw on type connectors. Either way, I've had zero issues with my mogami cables over the years. All of them are stiffer feeling, but not to the point where they coil back up or anything like that. Signal quality is definitely better than the cheap proco shit I used to use, and better than the planet waves stuff I had imo.

rokket2005

Reaction score
If you want flexible cables stay away from the Evidence lyric. I have two of them and hate them. They have a solid core which is stiff as fuck and aside from both having lower output than regular monster/mogami/hosa I feel like they are going to snap since it's not a braided core. Save your money and get regular cables or buy bulk cable and connectors from best-tronics and make your own.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Am I just really old or showing my age in saying I think Spectraflex is the best there is?

Considering your mattress recommendations, I would guess 10' of Spectraflex cable to run about $10k ;)

Looking at em just now... looks like the typical ends that I'm trying to avoid.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Considering your mattress recommendations, I would guess 10' of Spectraflex cable to run about $10k ;)

Looking at em just now... looks like the typical ends that I'm trying to avoid.

- You could also JB Weld it so it never comes apart again! Actually, it might not hold that well.
- How about modding your guitar with a locking speakon connector? just kidding.

- You can buy just the Nuetrik plug connectors that Mogami uses for around $8 though if you want to mod your exising cable, fyi.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
- You could also JB Weld it so it never comes apart again! Actually, it might not hold that well.
- How about modding your guitar with a locking speakon connector? just kidding.

- You can buy just the Nuetrik plug connectors that Mogami uses for around $8 though if you want to mod your exising cable, fyi.

One of my cables already has a short and all the soldering connections look good so I think it's somewhere in the actual cable. Plus my cables are all kinda stiff... multiple reasons that I wanna go for something new ( even though I do love most any opportunity to use epoxy and adhesive lol).