Please help me find the right instrument cable

jaxadam

Reaction score
Considering your mattress recommendations, I would guess 10' of Spectraflex cable to run about $10k ;)

Looking at em just now... looks like the typical ends that I'm trying to avoid.

I have a handful around here that I’ve had for 25+ years that still work like the day I bought them. I use the original series for patch cables and the fatso-flex for instruments and they’ve been absolutely great. Looks like a 10 footer will run you $40.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
I want to splurge on something like an Evidence Audio Lyric, but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much on a cable, especially considering I've made my peace and have decided to switch back to active pickups almost exclusively.

I see no sense supporting any company that doesn't state the capacitance per meter or per feet numbers for their cable. Otherwise it's all the same Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs. While Evidence will be just fine as a product, their marketing over the years has rubbed me the wrong way as does their pricing. I see them as audiophile bullshit.

For cables the main thing that matters is its capacitance. As low as possible is good but some might like having some capacitance when using a very bright amp for example. My take is that I prefer that the cable is not a factor in how things sound so I've been using Klotz La Grange for years, for no other reason than low capacitance and good availability locally. There's plenty of other low capacitance cables that will work just great.

One thing to look out for is cable thickness as some thicker cables can be harder to get into Neutrik jacks. Switchcraft plugs are a bit more lenient in this regard and I find them generally a bit easier to solder but Neutrik is more robust.

I advice everyone to just make their own. It doesn't take a whole lot of time to do and can save you some money, plus you get the exact length you need.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
One of my cables already has a short and all the soldering connections look good so I think it's somewhere in the actual cable. Plus my cables are all kinda stiff... multiple reasons that I wanna go for something new ( even though I do love most any opportunity to use epoxy and adhesive lol).

You'd probably wanna stay away from the George L's in that case. Though they roll up and stay nice and avoid kinks they are a bit stiff still. Still better than standard rubber though. I really don't like normal rubber cables. I always find myself messing with them to get keep them outta the way and from getting kinks.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
@c7spheres Thanks for the tip on George... will save myself the disappointment.

I may look into a custom builder or building my own in the future but for now I'm mainly just wanting one and done... at my door asap. Prob a little easier to return/ exchange a 10' cable if necessary, than it would be to mess with returning a spool that I'm not happy with.

But yeah... finding a quality cable wouldn't have been difficult. I would've prob just chosen a Mogami and been done, but like I originally said, I'm also looking for cable material/ housing that's soft and supple with connectors that won't easily unscrew... one of the key reasons that I started the thread.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
As I previously mentioned, it's not just one thing or another that's the issue. Like I said, I'm not wanting to mess with making cables atm since all I need is one, plus I want it now, and I have enough projects going already. But for my cables that aren't trashed or shorting out, I'll definitely try using some thread-lock on em.

Just ordered a Mogami MCP GT 10. Will see how she does. Thanks again very much for all the suggestions.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have Van Damme cables with Neutrik plugs. The cables are flexible, and the plugs have never come unscrewed, either with gigging or home use. They’re about 10 years old now and still in great condition.

The only cable I’ve had that wasn’t very flexible is a Planet Waves silent one. Quality is fine, but if I ever used it for gigging it went between pedals and amp, not to the guitar.

laxu

Reaction score
As I previously mentioned, it's not just one thing or another that's the issue. Like I said, I'm not wanting to mess with making cables atm since all I need is one, plus I want it now, and I have enough projects going already. But for my cables that aren't trashed or shorting out, I'll definitely try using some thread-lock on em.

Just ordered a Mogami MCP GT 10. Will see how she does. Thanks again very much for all the suggestions.
For the record I've never had a Neutrik plug unscrew itself so that's what I would go with. The caveat is they are a bit bulkier than others but it's generally not an issue for your guitar to amp (or pedals/multifx) cable.

Vinoo Matthew

Reaction score
Hopefully this thread won't be criticized too harshly despite the lame and probably over-analyzed topic. I ask because I see a lot of brands and models that I'm unfamiliar with so hopefully posting here might prevent me from winding up with something I'm not happy with.

What I need is a 10' instrument cable that is supple/ flexible enough to coil easily on the floor, great quality, and regarding the connectors/ plugs... I'm super tired of cables where the connector unscrews all the time.

It's not like I haven't been looking ( Lava, Warm Audio, Mogami, George, ProCo, etc) but when it comes down to actually knowing that a) the plug isn't going to unscrew apart, and b) that the cable will be soft/ flexible enough to coil easily on the floor and c) that it's great quality... I have no idea what's out there that will fit the bill. Black is preferred... I'm not crazy about tweed/ braided/ colored. Also straight to straight preferred or one straight/ one right angle.

So anybody have experience with a cable that'll meet those requirements? Thanks very much in advance.

The best cables I've used were handmade ones by Death Valley Cables, California. Brilliant cables at down-to-earth prices. Unfortunately, they seem to have closed down, but you can still find an occasional one on Reverb. I have 12-yr old ones that have been used for practice and for the stage and they're still rocking

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I had very good tonal and structural experience with the Boss cables. Partner it with Puretone jacks, and you'll be good!

Pure_Tone_Jack_Comparison_grande.jpg