Please reccomend me some jazz that is gentle to my rock sensibilities

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
Pleaase reccomend me some real jazz thats enjoyable to people who are more into rock and metal. Thanks

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Pat metheny
Weather report/Jaco's solo stuff..
Larry Carlton
Wes Montgomery
These guys are my favourite jazz musicians, check 'em out.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Pat metheny
Weather report/Jaco's solo stuff..
Larry Carlton
Wes Montgomery
These guys are my favourite jazz musicians, check 'em out.

Good recomendations.:yesway:

Also try some of Mike Stern's stuff (especially the 'Upside Downside' album), some Bill Connors solo stuff, Stanley Clarke's 'School Days', Allan Holdsworth's 'Metal Fatigue', 'Secrets' and 'Wardenclyffe Tower', and the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
^ Oh my god, I can't believe I missed out Holdsworth, the guy is incredible.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
Dave Holland
Brian Blade Fellowship
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jim Hall
Dave Brubeck Quartet

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Depends on what your definition of "real jazz" is. All of the stuff mentioned so far is excellent. When i first went from metal/rock to jazz, the fusion bands were the easiest to get into. After that, i found some more experimental/free/third stream and acoustic jazz like Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, and Charles Mingus. Eric Dolphy in particular displays a muscular, out-there kind of playing that might appeal to fans of experimental metal and sci-fi soundtracks. By no means are coleman and dolphy "easy" to get into, but their free-thinking approach and overall energy may appeal to you.

You also might want to look into John Zorn. He's a saxophonist who's dabbled in all sorts of jazz and experimental groups. check out his band Naked City (jazz meets Hardcore)

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Bruce Middle is another great jazz guitarist: The Bruce Middle Group on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Learned a lot from him.

Steve Adelson's another one (Stick player) who is incredible on the jazz front.

John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension Live USA 2007 is a great sampler, too, if the Mahavishnu Orchestra is a bit much for you.

I'd also recommend checking out Charlie Hunter, Al Di Meola, and possibly Frank Gamble, too.

If you don't mind going a little more experimental, there's always Adrian Belew, David Torn and Robert Fripp.

For the keyboard player doing a great job of being a guitarist there's always Jan Hammer. ;)

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Charles Mingus, definitely.
Cecil Taylor, if you like twentieth-century classical at all.
Thelonius Monk
Michael Brecker
Erroll Garner
Duke Ellington (Check out "Ko-ko")
Dizzy Gillespie did a really badass number with Chano Pozo, but I forget the name of the tune.

If those don't work out, here's some jazzy prog rock:
Van Der Graaf Generator
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic
Gong
Khan
Hatfield and the North
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

I hesitate to put Henry Cow in there, but you might enjoy their chaotic style.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
LOL! If you have Gong, you'll need to toss in some Ozric Tentacles. ;)
Hey, they're both a healthy change of pace from Mahavishnu Orchestra. I know that John McLaughlin is thinking microtonally on The Inner Mounting Flame, but it just sounds like he's bending out of tune, and Jerry Goodman sounds too fiddley for me.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
LOL! Both Gong and Ozric Tentacles are also a bit more rock oriented. Tangerine Dream if you're into the classical music thing for your electronica. LOL!

It's one thing that is kinda funny to see when John McLaughlin is playing on that Godin undermodel he's somewhat pushing, vs. the one he would normally use. No string bends! The trem system doesn't make it back, when he does his typical string bending (very Indian Sitar based).

Kind of the reason I didn't offer up John Scofield as a Jazz Guitarist (a bit too fiddley).

One thing that generally helps out is to list off a few bands with whom you are familiar/like when asking questions about getting into something new.

Don't want to hijack this thread.

Latest posts