Please tell me the bridge bolt pattern specs on RGA42FM (the cheap bridge)

Shane Sanders

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me (in mm) the distance between the center of the mounting screws on the latest version of the Ibanez RGA42FM bridge? I have a few Ibanez Tight-End bridges laying around and am hoping its footprint would completely cover the stock bolt pattern (and I would die of joy if it was exactly the same).

The Tight-End bridge center-to-center screw pattern (not the Tight-End R) is approximately 73.5 mm on the longer distance and 42 mm on the shorter.

Thanks for your time!

This is the exact one I have incoming from Sweetwater:

211P05I180218049-body-large.jpg.auto.webp

211P05I180218049-angle-large.jpg.auto.webp

211P05I180218049-front-large.jpg.auto.webp

211P05I180218049-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp

211P05I180218049-detail1-large.jpg.auto.webp

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Sanders

Reaction score
Thank you! I thought it was pretty weird and cool that the faux lines on the wings that are a part of the natural grain ended up providing the visual harmony that transformed the center line into something one would want. The general look sort of reminded me of some obscure corner of a Giger painting, vaguely reptilian, vaguely cartilage. :)

hr-giger-newyorkcity-XI-exotic.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Zhysick

Reaction score
aire It reminds a bit oficina a Giger design

Hahahaha I just realized what I wrote... shitty autocorrect in my cellphone... is what happens when you are a spanish guy. Sorry! I don't recall what I wrote but my guess is "also it reminds me a bit of a Giger design." or something like that... hahaha.

Shane Sanders

Reaction score
Well, my upgrades were successful. For anyone that cares, the Tight-End bridge will not simultaneously cover the existing bridge mounting holes and provide adequate intonation adjustment, but it does have the correct string spacing in relation to the Fixed Bridge from Ibanez. Thankfully, I measured a lot before moving forward--ended up very happy with my compromise which was one of those inexpensive but well made Chinese hardtail bridges you can get for $15.

Other things done: polished the frets with a Dremel and disc (they were perfectly level but gritty), touched up the tiniest bit of fret sprout, installed locking Hip-Shot tuners, added a decorative ring around each tuning peg, opted for amber speed knobs, switched the pickup selector to a taller variety with a pleasing color, installed Stap-Loks, and finally, installed one of my Massomancer™ sustain blocks on the headstock. There was a slightly dead note on the 12th fret G, but the upgrades largely removed this--not perfectly--but better than before. I did a thorough setup with Elixer Polyweb strings (10-46). Action is literally a hair above 1mm on the low E, and those basically cascade down to about a hair under 1mm on the high E. It's all one could ask for in a legato-friendly axe.

Overall, I like the Quantum pickups (I play clean or nearly clean most of the time). The tone control seems to be interesting, not sure why--has lovely resonate peak(s). I lowered the pickups some to get more headroom and balanced the Bridge/Neck output levels.

I think this is a fine mod platform, especially for $400 base price. It's very light and comfy for a guitar that's not explicitly ergonomic. I like the look of the Jatoba fingerboard and it sounds just dandy, too.

I may experiment with a brass or Tusq nut at some point and a tuned treble bleed.

Cheers people!

Attachments

• _IMG_7629.jpg
    _IMG_7629.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 36
  • _IMG_7630.jpg
    _IMG_7630.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 41
  • _IMG_7631.jpg
    _IMG_7631.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 36
  • _IMG_7632.jpg