Pod Go presets

• Thread starter A.JohnHayes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
I'm finding the Pod Go quite overwhelming with options, and it's teaching me that I'm not very good at dialling in tones.

Would anyone be willing to share their presets? I'm looking for tight rhythm tones, lead tones, and ambient cleans.

Any help I could get would be amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Lately I've been putting LA Studio Comp at the very end of everything. It kinda makes everything sound the same in a certain way, but also it makes me notice the subtle ways that similar amps are different. I realized that's sorta contradictory but try it and maybe you'll see what I mean.

I use the Panama (5150) a lot, boosted with a tube screamer. Gate on, but I don't set it very sensitive. Revv models are both good. The Archons and Friedmans are good clean and dirty pairs. The new Diezels on the update are cool. I boost everything dirty with the Scream 808, no drive, and the Heir Apparent on boost mode is a great clean boost for clean tones. I used to think that I didn't like the JCM 800, but now that I'm using the LA Studio Comp it kinda makes it sound right.

The Mark V model clean is a good clean. Can't go wrong with a US Double (Twin). The Soldano clean is good. The Jazz Chorus is disappointing. I like the Silvertone.

If you turn down the modulation from the preset level on Ganymede, it's a lot more useable for an ambient reverb.

I can't jive with any of these digital fuzzes into digital amps. Maybe I'll figure it out some day...

Sorry, that was all kind of steam of thought lol but I hope it helps.

OH! And you're gonna wanna bookmark this
https://www.fluidsolo.com/patchexchange/view-models/Amplifiers,a

Last edited:

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I'd just try the stock presets and tweak from there. Pulling presets others have shared on Line6 Customtone can be helpful too.

I can really only speak to tight rhythms, but my go to is: Horizon Drive (gate off, level cranked, attack on 3 or 4), Rev Red (gain 4, eq all on 5 except for resonance and presence around 7 or 8, aggression on 1), dual Cali (Mesa) cabs 412 (one with a close 57, the other with the m160 mic, mess with the high and low cut to taste). You may have better luck with IRs, but the stock cabs are an okay starting place.

laxu

Reaction score
Other people's presets are probably no better than the stock ones as they are not dialed in for your input and output devices.

I set up every modeler like this from the start:

Amp -> Cab -> Room reverb. This works pretty nicely for headphones or studio monitors. A little bit of reverb brings in the space that you would otherwise get from the real room.

Then you find an amp you like, don't touch it and go straight to set up the cab to your liking. If the Pod Go can do a dual cab block then always use that. Mixing two IRs together pretty much always sounds better. Figure out a cab/mic pairing that works for you. Typical setup is a brighter mic mixed together with a darker mic that fills in the low end. I am fond of the 57 Dynamic + 160 Ribbon combination. To tighten things up, adjust the low cut and to smooth things out, adjust the high cut. You can do fairly drastic cuts and still get a sound you like. If the Pod Go does not support the dual cab block, use the impulse response feature instead and load for example OwnHammer IR multi-mic mixes there.

For tight high gain tones I would go for the Revv models right away. Another favorite is a PRS Archon -> Mesa 5-band graphic EQ. Use the EQ to cut out the fuzziness in the low mids and give the high mids a bit more bite. I find I like this sound better than dealing with any 5150 based setups. You can use another EQ in front of the amp model to cut low end to tighten up pretty much any amp you want.

The Hiwatt model is really cool if you use it like a pedal platform and add effects to work with it. It can give you some nice bold tones.

laxu

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to try this! I've wanted to like the Archon, but it's a bit too woofy and dark for me.
I totally agree, that's exactly how it is which is why the graphic EQ is a great way to fix it.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses! I can't wait to dive into the Pod Go and start applying this stuff. To be honest, ownjng it has been a bit depressing - though I've been playing for 17 years, I've never had much money, and I've only ever had a Micro Terror and a Boss Katana, so I don't really have any experience with amps.

I love the unit, and I know amazing tones are in there, but I find myself not even getting close to the raw tones of the players I like and follow, even when I apply their advice. If it helps I'm exclusively using Sennheiser HD598 headphones - I'm saving up for an FRFR right now.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the necrobump,
I just the POD Go. I gotta ask, I got a Digitech Drop Tune that I use alot, should I put it before the POD Go or thru the FX Loop?

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
YMMV but i've generally had better luck putting pitch effects on my helix at the beginning of the chain, it seems like they just track better for me that way. it's worth trying either way but my hunch is that before the pod is probably the way to go

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
T
YMMV but i've generally had better luck putting pitch effects on my helix at the beginning of the chain, it seems like they just track better for me that way. it's worth trying either way but my hunch is that before the pod is probably the way to go
Thanks my dude.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Beginning of chain, you want at little "info" going into the drop pedal as possible, so it drops your DI instead of dropping a more fuller spectrum, info heavy, full guitar tone.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Alright here's my two cents since I too suck at dialing in tones lol:

First, make sure you use a 3rd party IR. I got the York Audio Mesa 212 with the V30's. 79 individual mics and 15 blended mic captures. For a whopping $1 (that's not a typo) it's impossible to beat. Everything I run through it immediately sounds better. https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited

Second, check out the Pod Go Customtone's area. Lots of good free tones on there. I would focus on the ones that are highly rated with lots of downloads. For an ambient sound, I would look into some of their "worship" tones; may not be the genre you're playing but some huge beautiful tones to be found, some of the AC30 tones are really great. Good rock/metal tones on there as well but those are a little more few and far between (as far as the quality ones go at least) https://line6.com/customtone/browse/pod_go/

Lastly, if you find yourself somewhat unsatisfied with the community tones like I did eventually, download one of the metal pre-set packs they have on the line6 website. It's actually pretty impressive the amount you get for the price; very usable tones and has a good IR included, I personally like the Archon models (note: there's a volume 2 as well, tbh not 100% sure which one I went with.)
https://shop.line6.com/marketplace/metal-vol-1.html

Outlined above is just what I did but there are tones of options for 3rd party IR's and presets (Choptone, etc) out there. To integrate the 3 components I mentioned above it'll set you back $21. IR's and presets can get expensive though so it largely comes out to how much you want to spend. I find the more you spend, the more options you have and the more options you have, the easier it is to get lost in the weeds. This is why I opt for the simple ready-to-go presets and singular IR; it inspires me to play more and mess with my settings less. Most importantly, the tones are really good, so if you struggle with dialing them in, the aforementioned "components" will help get you there.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT... didn't realize this was an old thread lol. Hopefully someone finds the information useful