POD HD Desktop?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I'm starting to see these going for relatively short money, and was wondering if it might not be worth it to pick one up, assuming it's a noticeable upgrade from POD Farm standard.

Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlienProbe974

Reaction score
I have one! and it's a big upgrade coming from POD farm.

got it going into a EHX 44 magnum and Peavey 6505 Cab

sounds freaking awesome!

can recommend for home useage!

Great Satan

Hell-o
Reaction score
Its basically the HD500 in bean form, big step up from pod farm.
Use with monitors or speakers, avoid headphones if at all poss.

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
It's worth it. POD Farm can barely match up to the HD series. Just do it, you won't have any regrets.

Great Satan

Hell-o
Reaction score
I been playing mine all day, its good for Fear Factory tones.
Use EQ modules after the cabs (primarily 4-band-shift and studio eq are the most versatile) to help further tweak the high gain, for this i only ever use the tread v30 with sm57 off-axis.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really view it as a step up, more as a side step.

It doesn't nail any of the classic POD Farm/XT/X3 tones (Monuments/TesseracT, Joey Sturgis-type metalcore tone, excellent bass tones, etc) and most distorted examples of the POD HD series that I have heard are honestly very generic. I guess it just seems like people have trouble making unique sounding tones with the HD (Like 90% of every metal demo/cover is just the Treadplate + XXL cab or ANGL + XXL cab with the SM57).

Cleans/lo gain? Great. My vote would always go towards the XT generation for high gain though.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I think there was a model pack released for the HD a while back and they added in the good metal amps from the XT/X3, namely the 5150 model, and Big Bottom.

Really is no substitute for L6 Big Bottom if you're going for that super compressed and scooped, razor-sharp tesseract / vildhjarta tone. I'm getting nostalgia again, I might fire up the ol' podfarm later today.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really view it as a step up, more as a side step.

It doesn't nail any of the classic POD Farm/XT/X3 tones (Monuments/TesseracT, Joey Sturgis-type metalcore tone, excellent bass tones, etc) and most distorted examples of the POD HD series that I have heard are honestly very generic. I guess it just seems like people have trouble making unique sounding tones with the HD (Like 90% of every metal demo/cover is just the Treadplate + XXL cab or ANGL + XXL cab with the SM57).

Cleans/lo gain? Great. My vote would always go towards the XT generation for high gain though.

I use the Big Bottom + 1X15 bass cab, and have no real complaints.