Pod HD vs amp sim software?

allshallperishfan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im in a bit of a pickle right now, because i have no way to record my guitar!

I do posses a scarlet interface, but no amp software. My main question is, should i buy amp software for this scarlet interface ? or should i buy a pod hd used? I want to know which has better sound quality?

Im going for a good vildhjarta style tone!

ps - I have used podfarm in the past, and im looking for something that is at least better quality than that!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a bunch of guitar amp sims and the POD HD. Yes you can get great tones with the amp sim plugins and the free LePou plugin is excellent, so you can try that for no cost at all, but personally I prefer the POD HD and use it as my go to for direct recording. It was much quicker for me to dial in a good tone and you can monitor the guitar signal effected with zero latency as opposed to using amp sim softwares. The great positives of the software is the ability to completely change the sound since you are recording 100% dry unaffected signal. You can hear my POD HD tone in the song in my signature below.

Rev.

Descent

Reaction score
Amplitube and Ampire seem to work best for me, but some of the free ones like LePou and Freeamp 3 have some interesting sounds too if you're willing to tweak.

I think for ease of use and keeping everything together the in the box approach is great but the processor will let you also do other things, such as live playing and tweakign it on the go.

Ultimately it is what you want to do, both are valid approaches.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I have a HD500 and have also tried lepou/etc.
I prefer my HD500 100%

Yes the HD500 is $500 (new), but:
*I think it sounds better/easier to dial in tones
*it frees up CPU resources
*you can jam with it (headphones) separate from your computer
*you can use it live (has footswitches and expression pedal/etc)
*you can record direct via usb and use it is as an interface for other stuff too

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the HD500 is $500 (new)

I got the desktop (bean) version which was $399 when GC was running one of their usual 20% off sales. Came out to 319.99 before tax. It appears the desktop is no longer available, maybe they'll be releasing a newer model? But for the price what a bargain!

Rev.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
For me tonally
ignite vst's/le pou + free gods cab IR >>> Pod HD

But to each his own.

Having a pod does make it insanely easy to switch between effects which on direct vst is a pain. But vst's the ones I use are free. So , no loss.

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
I have an eleven rack and I have used it as an audio interface with free vsts. Even if choose not to go the vst route, you can try them since it won't cost you.

Drezik27

Reaction score
I agree with most on the VSTs.

I personally really like Peavey Revalver and as others have mentioned Emissary and the Lepou plugins are really good as well with solid IRs.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
I freakin' love Revalver. You can demo everything indefinitely with a minor beep, and buy amps/ir's/fx ala carte. For instance right now, I only have a Diezal, an orange cab, a ts808, and a 5150 prototype cab. Probably $20 in all. Also, someone mentioned Emissary. All I can say for it is. KICK. ASS. Also the legendary TSE 5105 sim. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Lain

Reaction score
Yeah, revalver rocks. They are releasing kemper like profiling soon too.

asetic

Shuffle Groove Lover
Reaction score
The main practical reason why analog sims are better than VST's is the latency, and no CPU usage. In regards to sound I find VST's don't really pick up the little details in your playing and you end up with a very flat undynamic tone. Modulation tech is just getting to a point where they feel almost exactly like tube amps and you don't feel disconnected from the sound you're playing.

Dans

Dans_Envisage
Reaction score
I sold my POD HD after playing with it for 2 years and made a whole album with Emissary.
I could get some good tones with POD but tweaking with amp sims within the mix makes it much preferable for me.

Mwoit

Reaction score
I use Guitar Rig 5. I sold my POD HD as I couldn't be arsed tweaking it or making it work. I only use VSTs for making demos or covers so I don't have a necessity for amazing tone, so my use case is perhaps different to what you want.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I sold my POD HD after playing with it for 2 years and made a whole album with Emissary.
I could get some good tones with POD but tweaking with amp sims within the mix makes it much preferable for me.
Damn Dans, did you change your nickname recently? Didn't spot that it was you behind Epitome until now. Maybe I'm just stupid, or always reading in a rush, or both. :lol:
Well, rearranging all the info puzzle back, I just realised it was you that offered me one of my very first "how-to guides" on how to tweak the Pod back when I first got it and started posting about it here on SSO, so hearing you've come to nice results both in audio production and music makes me glad somehow, and also makes your past advice more valuable. Good job!

I heard your project Epitome back when you first posted about it and it's really great! (production-wise at least, music wise...I sincerely still have to listen properly to form an opinion :) )

Well so, now that you've sold the Pod, how are you operating? Which audio interface?