POD HD500, X3 live, BossGT-10, other?

• Thread starter pwilldabeast14
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
What are you going to be use for an amplifier? If you have a nice tube head then forget buying any of those because no matter which way you hook them up they will suck the tone out of your amp. Previously I've owned both a GT-10 and a POD X3 and they didn't play well with my 6505+ at all. By the time you're done turning off all the amp models & overdrives just to use the effects then you might as well have just bought a few stompboxes instead. On the other hand if you plan on using a SS or Tube power amp into cabinets you may be happy with the way these units sound.

Go to Guitar Center and try them all out. They have a BOSS kiosk in every store it has a GT-10 plus they'll always let you demo the Line 6 gear. After all that just do like me and save your money for a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
What are you going to be use for an amplifier? If you have a nice tube head then forget buying any of those because no matter which way you hook them up they will suck the tone out of your amp. Previously I've owned both a GT-10 and a POD X3 and they didn't play well with my 6505+ at all. By the time you're done turning off all the amp models & overdrives just to use the effects then you might as well have just bought a few stompboxes instead. On the other hand if you plan on using a SS or Tube power amp into cabinets you may be happy with the way these units sound.

Go to Guitar Center and try them all out. They have a BOSS kiosk in every store it has a GT-10 plus they'll always let you demo the Line 6 gear. After all that just do like me and save your money for a Fractal Axe Fx Ultra.

well i have a mark IV combo, that should be okay right?

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score

This..... Especially if you like to tweak. If you like doing any kind of sound design you'll quickly hit brick walls unless its an Axefx unit.

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
What about the line 6 m13? Heard good things about that effects unit. Suppose it depends what kind of effects you are looking for? If you are just after a bit of chorus and reverb the Axe Fx is going to massively overkill!

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
haha! to actually answer your question here....

HD500 would be the best best, out of your bunch. Four cable method is easy and you have a HUGE selection. It had everything the M13 has, for the similar price, and has the expression pedal in it.

Our other guitarist has a boss GT-10 and wants the HD500 now, haha he uses a soldano hot rod and it sounds great.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a nice tube head then forget buying any of those because no matter which way you hook them up they will suck the tone out of your amp.

Nonsense. I have a Triple Rec and the GT-10 (GT-8 previously) and it does NOT "suck" tone out of my amp. I had my Mesa's loop modded to series and have the GT-10 in there solely for effects and it's an excellent unit. I've tested the tone extensively with it in the loop with no effects on and completely removed from the loop. I've even recorded both signals and analyzed them with a spectrum analyzer and there is no discernible tone difference whatsoever.

And just for the record I'm not saying there aren't things that do suck tone. My Nady wireless definitely has a difference in sound as does using certain noise gates -which is why I'm using the ISP Decimator since I don't hear any change in tone at all.

Rev.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
What about the line 6 m13? Heard good things about that effects unit. Suppose it depends what kind of effects you are looking for? If you are just after a bit of chorus and reverb the Axe Fx is going to massively overkill!

haha hell no im looking like under 650$, but yeah im looking for alot more effects than that plus good distorted sounds and a looper, but ill hve to check out the m13

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
haha! to actually answer your question here....

HD500 would be the best best, out of your bunch. Four cable method is easy and you have a HUGE selection. It had everything the M13 has, for the similar price, and has the expression pedal in it.

Our other guitarist has a boss GT-10 and wants the HD500 now, haha he uses a soldano hot rod and it sounds great.

hah thank you sir, yeaa i was leaning toward pod a little but the x3 live also looked good, then again every other person will say no boss is better, no screw boss line 6 is better etc

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
Nonsense. I have a Triple Rec and the GT-10 (GT-8 previously) and it does NOT "suck" tone out of my amp. I had my Mesa's loop modded to series and have the GT-10 in there solely for effects and it's an excellent unit. I've tested the tone extensively with it in the loop with no effects on and completely removed from the loop. I've even recorded both signals and analyzed them with a spectrum analyzer and there is no discernible tone difference whatsoever.

And just for the record I'm not saying there aren't things that do suck tone. My Nady wireless definitely has a difference in sound as does using certain noise gates -which is why I'm using the ISP Decimator since I don't hear any change in tone at all.

Rev.

so since i have a combo does that make it better or worse?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
so since i have a combo does that make it better or worse?

Well it depends on what you want in an effects unit. I use the gain from my amp, I never use any stomp boxes in the unit. I also use the line out from my Mesa into my mixer/computer and apply cabinet simulation with Guitar Rig. This setup works ideal for me and as a result I don't need anything from the GT-10 but effects and amp channel switching. For that it works wonderfully. The effects are extremely diverse and sound great, effect chain routing is fully flexible, and ever since they changed the amp switching outputs I now have patches switch my amp channels too. So, for example, I can essentially go from a distorted lead sound with reverb to a clean chorus with delay in one pedal press. No more tap dancing.

My point was just that it doesn't alter the original tone. If you need an all in one unit - stomp boxes, effects, amp sims, etc then I would highly recommend the HD500. It will be money very well spent.

Rev.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
For your situation, I'd go with the HD500. In all honesty, since it came out, I really don't see any reason to go with the M13 instead. It's a bit cheaper but you get a lot more functionality form the HD500 anyway. If you can find an M13 cheap used, go for it. Otherwise HD500

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
well yeah i like the sound i get from my mesa so the amp models dont matter much, although ive heard good samples and i could use a boost, so the HD def stomps the x3 live, rp1000, and gt-10 right?