Politics & Current Events Closed Indefinitely

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Looked like the most tame political discussion thread on any internet forum/comment section that I've seen. I didn't have any commentary to add because political discussion isn't my bag, but I still enjoyed reading it and watching people sharpen their blades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
It literally only descended into name calling because we couldn't ban one guy.

I warned for years that if you couldnt take any action to keep the threads civil, they'd turn into a total unintelligible mess, which is what 2/3rds of the CE thread was ever since one guy got here.

You can close down the P&CE but the cat's out of the bag that hate posts and insults are fair game everywhere on this site. See how long until the top thread in every subforum is a Battle Royal and the site is totally unreadable.

So you guys basically just have the mod titles with no actual mod tools?

Edit— Saw your post in the MIA thread. Yuck.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
You can close down the P&CE but the cat's out of the bag that hate posts and insults are fair game everywhere on this site. See how long until the top thread in every subforum is a Battle Royal and the site is totally unreadable.
Your a butt and you smel liek a butt >:[

This sucks, and I only dabble in a couple of the lighter P&CE threads. I didn't even realize that mods haven't had the banhammer option for a while now. I'm glad the majority of members that have been around long enough learned to operate with the respect and knowledge that if they act like dickheads, that they would be banned. Mods could weed out newer members that didn't respect the rules instead of this happening, pretty sure the same members that would complain about mods having too much power are the ones that cause problems that we'd want to get rid of anyway.

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old skool, but P&CE sub forums have historically been a staple of a lot of decent online forums. I don't really look for political direction or insight there personally, but SSO's was decent AFAIK and gave folks a place to air it.

The thing about politics than a lot of people don't realize is that everything is a tradeoff. Everything. Debating which flavor of fucked over you want from the government is a bit like running in sand. If folks are into it let em have it, if not they can stay out of the forum or get restricted from it when they start to get too rowdy. We have mods, let them work. Or don't, IDC. Doesn't have anything to do with guitar or music, nobody ever died because a forum got nuked.

I say replace it with an anything goes sub forum. Let folks show us who they really are. :mega:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you guys basically just have the mod titles with no actual mod tools?
Thread/post delete, merge, move, lock, rename, etc. (most of what we do in a given day, especially in the marketplace)

We can ban spambots if they're flagged by the site filter and have under a certain number of posts, some stuff thats questionably spam gets put in a queue for approval.

We can assign reports to eachother or send them to Alex.

That's basically the extent of it, yeah.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And this is precisely why it's good that you don't have the power to ban. Because you lack the ability to be impartial, which is the #1 trait that is required of a good moderator.

I have zero respect for you or the other guy who was actively making the situation worse.

Alex did the right thing. Politics has no place on a forum like this.
Your opinion is noted. It's wrong, but it's noted.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reddit vibes.

And before I get called a hypocrite for TGF’s lack of a politics section, we started that forum in 2023, had we started it 10 years ago, we’d probably have a politics forum. What I think made it great here was that there was already an established ground of ‘We actually discuss politics and don’t sling mud’ that we felt would be impossible in 2023 and most likely impossible for the next few years.

It’s a bummer that “moderation” is handled in a “Everyone loses out” way instead of just handling the shitheads.
Though I'm a relative newcomer (long-time lurker), it kinda' felt like an absentee parent came back and yelled at us for jumping on the couch. Yes, we were jumping on the couch, but if you were here every day dad you could have warned us first.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The bottom line is you snowflakes can't handle some sweet, sweet common sense counterpoints from the kind, intelligent folks on the right. I'm not talking uber-right, just plane-Jane oldskool right.

But to be fair (to be fair! Letterkenny - anyone get it?), no great loss.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
The bottom line is you snowflakes can't handle some sweet, sweet common sense counterpoints from the kind, intelligent folks on the right. I'm not talking uber-right, just plane-Jane oldskool right.

But to be fair (to be fair! Letterkenny - anyone get it?), no great loss.
Genuinely, this is because of just one poster. It's not because you or glades are right-wing, it's because DrewH can't shut his trap

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I just realized it was all of the P&CE section locked down, not just the Snowflakes Vs. The Right thread.

tedtan

Reaction score
Don't blame me. Blame your own inflated view of yourselves as always being right, always having the best solution, etc. You couldn't be mature enough to accept others opinions and actually engage in discussion. You can't have discussion when the core long term members all agree with each other and then descend upon and attack any other members who don't share those exact points of view. It was pure unhealthy tribalism versus a place to actually debate. I haven't contacted Alex or reported anything in months. So, probably in attempt to get rid of me, you reported your own section of the forum right into extinction. Poetic justice for the bullies of this forum.
Case in point.

And, as @Randy said, here it is flowing over into other areas of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.