Positive Grid: Bias Head (new product coming soon)

• Thread starter FireInside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
inb4 phallic jokes.

PS I will get it just because I have uncontrollable gas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
It's certainly a cool idea, but I'm not sure how many people would really use it. From what I've gathered, most people using Bias mostly have it for home/quiet playing or easy recording, then still use regular amps for noise/live. Even those who use Bias live, that I've seen, just go direct and have a powered speaker if they need stage sound.

Definitely good for anyone looking for a "powered Kemper on a budget" application, sort of like the relationship between the Axe-FX and Amplifire.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I'd say it'll probably clock in at about a grand easy. The Kemper is a bit more than that but it has the display screen and slightly more sophisticated interface.

It'll be interesting to see how it measures up against the new Yamaha heads.

Lain

Reaction score
Why are people comparing it to the Kemper already? As far as i know, the bias software was more EQ matching and not at all like the Kemper profiling.

I suspect this being closer to the THR100 than to the Kemper.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ultra modern technology, and they made it look like a short wave radio. Why?

Seems like they're trying to counter the futuristic equipment-on-the-deck-of-the-USS-Enterprise look of the Kemper. :lol:

If it's priced well, I think this could knock the Yamaha THR head out of the park.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Why are people comparing it to the Kemper already? As far as i know, the bias software was more EQ matching and not at all like the Kemper profiling.

I suspect this being closer to the THR100 than to the Kemper.

I've never actually done it but I think you're pretty close. With Bias, you select one of whatever amps are available, dial it in as close as you can to the amp you're trying to match and once you run the program, it'll "fine tune" it so that it matches up. You can't just hit a "match" button and have it make an amp profile automatically.

What I'm curious about is if the usb port on the back will be for firmware updates/ir loading like the Yamaha amp or if you'll be able to manipulate the settings via mac/pc. ie: being able to go into the "metal" setting and select which amp will be used as there are 4 in Bias.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's how the Axe II's matching works. So if anything, it's trying to clone the Axe FX.

I'm also guessing there's going to be IR loading, if this is based on the PC version of Bias Pro.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
It's certainly a cool idea, but I'm not sure how many people would really use it.
Yeah, that was my first thought. If it's for practice, the app is cheaper. If it's for serious recording, the plugin is cheaper. If you're so committed to Bias that you want to use it live, you're probably savvy enough to do it already.

I hope this is cool, but sometimes it seems like Positive Grid goes off in a million directions and doesn't see any one thing through. They took like two extra years on the bluetooth footswitch and just let JamUp die off. I'd really love it if they devoted everything to Bias and Bias FX as they're great but could be amazing with more work IMO.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Good for them, jumping into the "hardware" game.

Great times to be a guitarist!

This is my thought. Things that were sought after are getting smaller and more easily accessible as the years go by.

bhakan

Reaction score
Ultra modern technology, and they made it look like a short wave radio. Why?
Because guitarists hate change with a passion, so if they make it look vintage there's a chance everybody won't totally reject it for lacking "mojo."

I feel like this forum is basically the only guitar community that actually likes gear that pushes the boundaries instead of being as vintage as possible.

wakjob

Reaction score
Love the retro 70's stereo receiver look.

Would be better if it was sliver.

PBGas

Reaction score
Wireless button on the back. Interesting. Make some deeper changes on the ipad, sync it up and ready to go. This is what I do with the 2 H9s on my board and I love how easy and fast it is. Gives me more time to play and less time spent tweaking. Can't wait to see more!!!!