Possible Custom Coming My Way...

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I have decided to get a "custom" guitar made by a certain nimble footed instrument brand from a certain internet source. The Specs:

*Maple neck through with ebony fingerboard, no inlays
*Mahogany body wings
*Single DiMarzio spaced humbucker
*Tone Pros bridge, strings through body
*Tuned to A(Standard B down a step)
*Satin Black finish to body and neck

That's her. Body shape to remain a mystery till she is in production, though I'm sure I'm not the first to contimplate this shape.

I have only one dilemma. Since I can't get the pickup brand I want I have to do a pickup changeout when I get the beast. With the wood combo above, I'd like any suggestions on DiMarzios...but I've personally narrowed it down to either the D Activators or the X2N.

I have played the xiphos 7 with the new D Activators and they seemed pretty cool. I played them through a Peavey XXX and through all the mud that monstrosity of a head can crank out the note definition was brilliant. They only seem lacking, as some have pointed out, in bass response.

I have not tried the X2N but am very intrigued with this pickup. I kinda like the idea of something so powerful it is often found uncontrollable by it's users. I also like the idea of its ability to cut and the searing output it would provide and the kick in the ass it will give any amp.

As mentioned in my specs I play in A standard. I play alot of rhythm guitar and some leads but this guitar will be mostly for rhythm through various Crate and Randall solid states(flame if you will. solid states are were its at for me).

thanks ahead of time for any and all suggestions and thanks for taking time for this thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
so your building a custom, shaped like the xiphos. I'd love to do such a thing. About the solid state amps. Don't you find they lose clarity in a band setting?

What do you use for a solid state amp out of curiosity?

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
why the mystery? it makes things o so much more interesting...plus it provides greater suspense and anticiaption of possible picstories to come.

As far as amps, I like the Randall RH heads(not the new tube emulation one) and Crate Flexwaves. I use and have used Flexwaves mostly. I had an early 90s one and a couple from th 00's. Right now I have a 2005 Flexwave combo because a)I live in an apartment and b)I am not in a band at the moment and only need me a 2x12 combo to satisfy. I am looking to get either a new Randall G3 head or Crate VTX head and V30 4x12 as my next rig along with this guitar.

As far as getting lost in the mix I guess I can agree with that. just means the mids needa be boosted a bit. I think thats true for any guitar tone though in that a live situation usually calls for boosted mids. I dunno, SS worked for Dime and I never heard no problems.

and if it really kills some people to have a little mystery, its only apparition...

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
Alas, I have succumed to GAS...this custom will have to wait until later. For the record though, it was an Agile Ghost 7. My last qoute, with EMG in the bridge instead, was like $650 for anybody who is interested. Thanks for looking.

Bigeeboo

V-boi
Reaction score
Im not sure why people nock the X2N ... its super powerful and VERY focused ... you want clear defined individual notes? this will give it and THEN some ... best pickup if you want a strong Push