Precise Options for Machine Heads / Tuning Heads

• Thread starter Malacoda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Malacoda

Fogdiver
Reaction score
Hey there y'all (first post in a decade oops XD) - I and a buddy are looking to explore more semitonal/microtonal avenues lately and are wondering what options exist for extremely precise tuning heads. I am not referring to the ability of the head to stay in tune, but the ability of it to actually tune the string on a smaller interval so there are no jumps between semitones. I know there's lots of good locking tuners out there but if anyone knows any auto-adjusting or very micro-adjustable options out there, I'd love to know - thanks much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
You'll want a high ratio set of tuners. Or just any old tuners and a strobe/bench tuner.

tedtan

Reaction score
Gotoh’s offers their 510 tuners in a 21:1 ratio version, which is the best option I’m aware of for what you want to do, but there may be others.

But why not buy a neck(s) designed for whatever temperament(s) you plan to use?

ixlramp

Reaction score
I and a buddy are looking to explore more semitonal/microtonal avenues lately
Being one of this forum's microtonal guitar geeks i would be interested in any details of what you intend to do.

I am wondering why you need high ratio tuners? Usually, a microtonal guitar does not need high ratio tuners any more than a standard guitar does.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Being one of this forum's microtonal guitar geeks i would be interested in any details of what you intend to do.

I am wondering why you need high ratio tuners? Usually, a microtonal guitar does not need high ratio tuners any more than a standard guitar does.
I'm thinking he wants to use a standard instrument, but tune "in between" the more conventional notes.