Pro guitarists who play cheap guitars

• Thread starter farren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ducer

ducer
Reaction score
I think that Zappa used to play some cheap Epiphone for some time, but I'm not sure (dont remember the link to the interview with him from some magazine). Can be wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not exactly cheap and rare as hell. I think they only made a couple hundred of them.

The guitar the Grynch was based on was actually pretty cheap. It's an ESP/LTD VB-300 (or 200, I don't remember) with an EMG Afterburner preamp installed and flames painted on the body.

On top of that, James also played some other LTD's; an H-307 (or 207, not sure) and an F-300.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I don't entirely agree with that as tone has made it hard for me to enjoy quite a few guitarists as much as I otherwise might (usually thanks to EMGs), but I'm just glad you didn't go so far as to say "tone is all in the fingers" and suggest pickups don't matter as many an elderly gentleman or young golden-ageist has said on more traditional guitar forums. Cheap guitars can most certainly be equipped to sound great, though.

It sounds like we would disagree on a lot of things but one thing we certainly agree on is our dislike for the "tone is in your fingers" argument. No one has any tone in their fingers, only bones, tendons, and talent. :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
A few% of the cheapest guitars are outstanding. Among 50 squier affinity strats, there must be one which's well built and sounds probably better than most boutique strats. Getting your own cheap signature guitar from a huge company is also an opportunity to find the 1/50.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
I also recall that most of Charvel's new artists play either pro-mods or Desolation series guitars. They are fairly cheap, and an artist playing a pro-mod is the equivalence of an artist playing a mexican Fender.

The Desolations are made in China if I recall correctly

Last edited:

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
John Mitchell (It Bites, Frost*) uses stock Cort guitars (not to mention JMP 1 preamp/ Valvestate power amp rather than guitar amp...!)

and he is good

indrangelion

You guys are funny
Reaction score
This thread made me miss my $500 '86 MIJ Fender Tele. It was on the same level as my ESP CS...

Anyway, I think Josh Homme prefers odd, cheapo Japanese strats over the everyday Fender Strat or Gibson LP. Let's not forget his Christocaster. That thing is literally made out of firewood.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
Michael romeo played LTD's early on
Shawn lane played ibanez sabers
dan swano played ibanez rg7421's
Muhammad suicimez played rg550's innitially
Per from scar symmetry plays an RG7421
matts haugh from circus maximus plays an RG1527

WarMachine

Reaction score
Im going against the grain (at least most of it) and backing the skill and tone coming from the player. I have a BC Rich NJ Beast i bough new in 02, and i jam primarily on a Dean Waribird with D Activators (between prices, 02 Beast was 600 and the Warbird in 08 was 550) and i can make the Beast sounds just as good as i can the warbird. The warbird has a set neck with the back scalloped when it joints to the body giving it that scooped neckthru feel and the beast is a bolt on. Do they feel different? Absolutely. Do they play differently? Absolutely. Do they sound different? Shits naw :shred:

EDIT: Actually, that's making me want to snag a beast cheap off ebay and set it up lol

Megaton_900

The Science
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i could make even the best guitar sound rubbish if i was uncomfortable playing it. :shred: (or just rubbish anyway :lol:)

IMO its all about how you connect with that guitar.

wat

Reaction score
I think Zakk Wylde plays Epiphone Masterbilt Acoustics

Amazing sounding guitars, too bad they are discontinued