Programmed drums/ drum machines

• Thread starter eric86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eric86

Reaction score
Hey dudes, my band and i are currently shifiting lineups, and rewriting music without a drummer. Because we will be writing complete songs we want to use either a drum machine or programmed drums to play along to while writing/rehearsing. Obviously we want to pickup a drummer asap, but in the meantime want to structure songs properly.

Does anyone us drum programs that work well? My plan would be just to run my laptop into my p.a to play the tracks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
i use ezdrummer drum kit from hell and i like it, but i would only use that for rough idea's if you want pro quality shit try Superior Drummer 2.0...

myspace.com/cwhiteshred is my page and i used ezdrummer for all the drums, check it out if want some samples

EDIT: i forgot to mention that you will need a DAW for those programs i use Reaper cause its easy and my laptop can hadle it.

davemeistro

Reaction score
i use ezdrummer drum kit from hell and i like it, but i would only use that for rough idea's if you want pro quality shit try Superior Drummer 2.0...

myspace.com/cwhiteshred is my page and i used ezdrummer for all the drums, check it out if want some samples

EDIT: i forgot to mention that you will need a DAW for those programs i use Reaper cause its easy and my laptop can hadle it.

+1

Reaper, Superior Drummer 2.0, and Guitar Pro to write the drum parts, export it to midi, and import it into Reaper w/ SD is what I use and it works fine.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
We use Superior 2.0, + Metal Foundry + a lot of multi-sample replacements for kicks, snares, toms, rolls, accent metalwork, etc. to give us realism without sounding like "another band using Toontrack". :cool: Also, learn to get some room and bleed on S2.0, and how to compress groups and effect your drums as well. Too many people run that thing way too dry and underproduced.

bigswifty

Reaction score
If youre just doing samples, find something cheaper than S2.0 :yesway:

I find it easiest to compose/tab my songs in GP5 and program drums that way, then import MIDI files into whatever studio producer youre using and bam! You've got the programmed MIDI right there ready to go.

:fawk:

Daggorath

-.-
Reaction score
I can't understand why people use GP to write MIDI over the facilities on Reaper, Cubase etc. Must just be habit really, as I quite like the programming on Reaper - it's quick and simple.

Reaction score
I can't understand why people use GP to write MIDI over the facilities on Reaper, Cubase etc. Must just be habit really, as I quite like the programming on Reaper - it's quick and simple.

Not being able to drag-create on Reaper drives me up the wall. It's my only complaint.

Want a run of double bass? Tough shit, better have nothing planned for the next 5 mins.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Not being able to drag-create on Reaper drives me up the wall. It's my only complaint.

Want a run of double bass? Tough shit, better have nothing planned for the next 5 mins.
wow, has it really not dawned on you to place 4 to 8, and copy paste them?

( i dont mean that rudely, I'm really asking if that idea never came to you)

because that's what i do.

it's done in about 2 seconds longer than dragging. i dont think you'll really miss thoe 2 seconds of your life.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
what do mean you cant drag create? i place midi file where i want it and extend it the length i need it. is that what you mean?

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
look up acoustica beat craft.

it might not sounds the best but it's VERY cheap and will work for what you need it to.

also you can import good samples if you wish, and adjust the volumes, making it really good

davemeistro

Reaction score

Yeah, it's just a habit. I use GP to write drums because I usually write everything at once, so I'll be writing out guitar parts and drum parts at the same time. It's pretty convenient for me, and I'm used to it.

LuketheBeef

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can export the drum track from Tabit files into Drum S2.0? That would save me a lot of time with getting music done.

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
if you want to go the hardware route the DR-880 is a damn fine sounding and easy to use unit.

Reaction score
wow, has it really not dawned on you to place 4 to 8, and copy paste them?

( i dont mean that rudely, I'm really asking if that idea never came to you)

because that's what i do.

it's done in about 2 seconds longer than dragging. i dont think you'll really miss thoe 2 seconds of your life.

Well duh. It's just an annoyance.