Protein- what's your daily intake?

• Thread starter Seabeast2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I currently weigh in at 175, and i'm trying to consume approx 150g of protein.
I struggle to eat a lot, and thus unless i intentionally force myself to eat, its going to be a challenge for me to consume that much.

my 'cheat' to this is:
2 scoops of protein powder for breakfast = ~50 grams of protein
2 scoops of protein powder before sleep = ~50 grams of protein

that leaves approx 25 grams of protein that i need to consume between lunch and dinner. that is more manageable for me. Still not perfect, but i'm working on it.

EDIT: question for those using Creatine. What am/was i doing wrong? Its been years since I last tried this, and there is a bit of fear in trying it again. Last time when I did the on/off cycle, i did put on a LOT of weight. I looked massive. But I didn't gain weight in muscle/strength, nor fat. I just gained shit tons of water weight and looked bloated. I did lose that weight rather quickly too, but i was not a fan of that...yet I see/hear people swearing by this. So what did/was i doing wrong that it only gave me water weight with nothing else?

Last edited:

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, water weight is all I gained. All my pants/shorts fit like crap. I got off of it… I’ll stick to protein.

mpexus

Reaction score
EDIT: question for those using Creatine. What am/was i doing wrong? Its been years since I last tried this, and there is a bit of fear in trying it again. Last time when I did the on/off cycle, i did put on a LOT of weight. I looked massive. But I didn't gain weight in muscle/strength, nor fat. I just gained shit tons of water weight and looked bloated. I did lose that weight rather quickly too, but i was not a fan of that...yet I see/hear people swearing by this. So what did/was i doing wrong that it only gave me water weight with nothing else?
Creatine makes you feel more Pumped due to its water retention but that feeling goes away in a couple of weeks. It also makes your Muscles absorb much more water and at same time gives helps you boost performance by improving ability to help regulate body temperature during exercise and stimulate the muscle protein synthesis.

I noticed a huge leap on the Weights I managed to Lift after my 1 week Loading Phase of taking Creatine sometimes making me totally surprised since I was never a physical strong person. Also read that Creatine makes some people more bloated than others especially on the Loading phase. Didn't affect me apart from some "feeling" on my stomach initially but that went away very fast (2 days), maybe because I was using the Micronized one or simply my Body reacted well to it and also I didn't took the entire Loading Dose all at once, but divided it in 4 takings a day. Most people I read feeling nauseous about it it's because they decided to go Ape Man and take the full dose at once... It seems also Creatine doesn't work at all on 25% of people that try it.

To me it worked and keeps working. Just have my regular dose 20-30 min before hitting the gym and also have a Espresso since caffeine helps to boos me. I don't do Pre Workout formulas since that stuff is so full of Caffeine that makes me wonder how anyone don't have a nervous breakdown . Regular Espresso have like 60 gm of Caffeine and those Pre Workout formulas range from 150 to 300 mg's... its just Insane

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I do my body weight in grams of animal source protein daily. I don’t track protein from other sources. That is about 185g a day from fish, eggs, meat, dairy.

I’m less concerned about carbs. I eat vegetables, fruits, rice and potatoes in moderate quantities. I doubt I hit 185g carbs daily(closer to 100-120).

I suggest using a food scale for honesty’s sake. I do this when I really want to dial everything in.

Ultimately everyone is different. What works for someone won’t work for someone else. Trial and error. Give enough time to actually see how you feel and perform.

My weight has been the same now for 7+ years. I’ll lift and cycle and hike. Mix it up.

Bcaa is unnecessary if protein from quality sources is high enough.

As for creatine, I like 5-10g daily mixed with a high sodium electrolyte drink. I found it messes with me way less this way.

Last edited:

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
He
I currently weigh in at 175, and i'm trying to consume approx 150g of protein.
I struggle to eat a lot, and thus unless i intentionally force myself to eat, its going to be a challenge for me to consume that much.

my 'cheat' to this is:
2 scoops of protein powder for breakfast = ~50 grams of protein
2 scoops of protein powder before sleep = ~50 grams of protein

that leaves approx 25 grams of protein that i need to consume between lunch and dinner. that is more manageable for me. Still not perfect, but i'm working on it.

EDIT: question for those using Creatine. What am/was i doing wrong? It’s been years since I last tried this, and there is a bit of fear in trying it again. Last time when I did the on/off cycle, i did put on a LOT of weight. I looked massive. But I didn't gain weight in muscle/strength, nor fat. I just gained shit tons of water weight and looked bloated. I did lose that weight rather quickly too, but i was not a fan of that...yet I see/hear people swearing by this. So what did/was i doing wrong that it only gave me water weight with nothing else?

I guess the question is to me is how did you consume it? Did you do a loading phase? Was it a quality creatine monohydrate? How many grams for how many days?

While it suggests on many labels to load, this is honestly one of those good old supplement company scams. 5-10gs per day, and within a month, you will have hit ideal saturation(other common preworkout compounds also have a saturation phase).
Overdoing it as a loading phase can lead to the unwanted issues. Also, diet can play a factor in creatine supplementation, as well as what you take it with. For instance, if you eat a good amount of red meat, you are probably already getting a good quantity of creatine. If you are vegetarian or vegan, you might need to supplement more with it.

Creatine monohydrate(or a micronized form) are the most studied, and none of the other variants have data to support a better result.

Creatine requires carbs or sodium for best absorption. I tend to take it a bit after a meal with a high sodium electrolyte powder. L carnitine in some studies shows increased bioavailability of creatine when taken together.

There is no proven benefit to cycling creatine as it doesn’t up regulate like a substance like caffeine will.

It is also important to note that the process (atp) in which creatine plays its role is heavily influenced by a variety of factors, including diet and mitochondrial health, and some people have genetic variations that could require more or less creatine than others, while some might benefit from a different compound like NAD instead or in conjunction with.

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
200+ club today

IMG-9436.png

Last edited:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Since I'm back to doing the gym every other day, I wanted to make sure I give kind of a shit about my protein intake, and it looks like on my gym days I'm averaging around 140G between:

Four scrambled eggs w/ 1/3 cup of cottage cheese + two strips of bacon
Two protein shakes (30G each)
Protein bar
Dinner (chicken/steak/burger/etc)

On my off days I only do one shake, but keep everything else the same, so a little over 100G but honestly, it's not hard to hit that at all; and now look at the numbers, that means I'm just shy of hitting 1/2G for lean muscle mass, but who knows because I don't own a scale since all they did was de-motivate instead of incentivize.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Over the last two weeks I tried Ryan Husiton’s (youtoob guy) new protein intake recommendation. I plow down 70 grams before gym (eggs, double protein shake) then hit a shake when I get home. By lunch I’ve consumed 130 grams and generally don’t feel hungry until dinner… another 30. Then, before bed I plow down another 50 grams so the body has something to eat while I sleep.

It’s… a lot…not sure I can keep it up on lift days. On non lift days I’m getting roughly 150 grams. I’m 5’10” 190 lbs benching reps of 225, squatting 300, deadlifting reps of 245. I spend 1.5 hrs four days a week in da gym.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I spend 1.5 hrs four days a week in da gym.

Same, 30 mins of that is elliptical at the end + 5-10 mins of just letting my body sweat out after that so I change my shirt before driving home, the rest is entirely weights; I try to do three exercises for the main muscle group - so push day would be pec flys/overhead press/tricep isolation + either rows/lat pulldowns/upright rows in between - for 4 sets of 10-12 with a slow eccentric, up to 15 on the last set just to burn out whatever I've got.

I also realized I've been selling myself short on overhead pressed, I used to go where my upper arms were parallel to my shoulder, but now I see you need to bring the bar to that point so you've going into the deficit and coming out of it on the next rep. I did it last night and it cooked me quicker than the previous sets have.