PRS 7 string build.

• Thread starter absolutorigin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
This is beyond awesome. The things I would do for a private stock build would be nothing short of selling my dangly bits and a kidney on the black market and doing a bit of favors on the side to make up the rest. Lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XxJoshxX

Djentleman
Reaction score
I was checking this thread religiously for the last week or two, and literally the few days I don't check in, there's an update. And a damn tasty one at that.

absolutorigin

Reaction score
Yeah, they're are plenty of fish in the sea, but I have different tastes, so I'd really like an 85/15 (uncovered 58/15 -- relatively new-ish) in 7-string as one of the pups, so when I do mine, I'm a gonna ask. I really want that electro-acoustic sound -- or "acoustic-ish", as I've been calling it -- in the other. Still working on that.

I don't consider that different tastes at all. Considering the 85/15 and/or 58/15 is the new favorite of many PRS enthusiasts I'd say your taste is quite normal :D. Why don't you just put in piezo for the electro-acoustic sound?

This is beyond awesome. The things I would do for a private stock build would be nothing short of selling my dangly bits and a kidney on the black market and doing a bit of favors on the side to make up the rest. Lol

Sounds like something I've done before :lol::noplease:.

SS fret and burl maple blinding is a PS option now!?so much want it!

This is their first attempt at burl maple binding. I was a little unsure if they'd go for it, but they accepted the challenge with no hesitation. I've seen them do spalted maple binding before so I had confidence they would be able to pull this off. This is the first time I've seen burl maple binding on any guitar actually. I've seen quite a few exotics on acoustics like snakewood, koa, spalted tamarind, machinga,and etc.

SS frets have been an option for a while, but this is the first time they're doing it with the Ibanez/Michael Tuttle rounded ends.

The figuring in the back of the neck :drool: I wouldn't mind seeing you play that with your back against the crowd :lol:

That's why I put the burl maple veneer on the back of the headstock. I'm never going to face the crowd. EVER haha :lol:.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I don't consider that different tastes at all. Considering the 85/15 and/or 58/15 is the new favorite of many PRS enthusiasts I'd say your taste is quite normal :D. Why don't you just put in piezo for the electro-acoustic sound?
Usually I'm a non-conformist, contrarian even. But in this case, they're right. It's spectacular.

Why don't I just put in a piezo? First of all, who says I'm not? :D Secondly, have you heard a Parker? I don't know how to describe it, but there's something audiophile about it -- it's that perfect middle ground. It's like the Yamaha CP70* of guitars. I'm looking to recreate that in a 7-string.

Heck, maybe I need a 14-string (12-string done seven style)?

*The Yamaha CP70 is an electric grand piano -- it sounds more like a grand piano than any other electric piano, but it sounds more electric than any grand piano.

pylyo

Reaction score
Dear lord, I didn't even know this thread exists...
I wish I never opened it at all.

:scream:

absolutorigin

Reaction score
Usually I'm a non-conformist, contrarian even. But in this case, they're right. It's spectacular.

Why don't I just put in a piezo? First of all, who says I'm not? :D Secondly, have you heard a Parker? I don't know how to describe it, but there's something audiophile about it -- it's that perfect middle ground. It's like the Yamaha CP70* of guitars. I'm looking to recreate that in a 7-string.

Heck, maybe I need a 14-string (12-string done seven style)?

*The Yamaha CP70 is an electric grand piano -- it sounds more like a grand piano than any other electric piano, but it sounds more electric than any grand piano.

You sly dog, a PS-7 with a piezo sounds epic! Parkers are cool, but not really my thing. I've never really been one to use piezo for my own personal playing. I also, think they only sound decent is when they're played through a acoustic DI box or something (again my personal tastes).

As far as the middle ground, the current P22, P24 in the PRS lineup has the nice ability to be able to blend between the piezo and electric is really cool. But it's too bad that they haven't developed the piezo bridge for the 7 string.

Dear lord, I didn't even know this thread exists...
I wish I never opened it at all.

:scream:

It was meant to be :D.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Off-topic overall, but relevant to your question (and I couldn't resist):

:scream::scream2:

So relevant to my interests. Thanks for that.
But it's too bad that they haven't developed the piezo bridge for the 7 string.
Oh.

:|

Maybe I'll ask them to use something from the Graph Tech™ ghost® line.

But with these Benedettos, I'm not sure I need one. They sound really close to what I want on the SE Cu24/7 through the Archon (and the 24/7 is a solidbody).

And I haven't even started my build yet, so don't get the wrong idea, sorry if I mislead. I'm just 100% committed, still working out details in my head, getting ideas together.

absolutorigin

Reaction score
Getting closer :D!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php