PRS Brought back the CE24

• Thread starter myampslouder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Point is this is a different guitar. People need to stop comparing it to a guitar that prs stopped making because it cost too much to produce.

Typical Internet.

Nobody was going to he happy with this from the start. If they charged more and used us hardware people would bitch about the price. If they sold this as a different model name like the S2 they'd say meh it's not a true prs. You will never make the Internet happy and sevenstring.org in particular will never be happy.

Also if this was ibanez offering a lower cost alternative to an expensive model people would be sh*tting themselves with excitement.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^You mean like the JBM27, which I think is too much for a $1400 Indo-made guitar? :lol:

Also, can we cut it with the "WELL IF IBANEZ DID IT YOU GUYS WOULD BE LOSING YOUR ...." thing? It's petty as all hell.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm not really a PRS guy, so I guess I don't see what the big deal is about. I think these look pretty cool. PRS look and quality with ash/maple bolt on? Sounds like a win to me. :shrug:

I would so be in to this if they made a left-handed one, and if I didn't have other guitars higher on my list.

qpUyGnM.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
Alls I'm saying is we're end users/consumers and generally not pro's (although that's a subjective term lately too). The new CE24's are sick guitars, the original CE's are sick guitars. Be happy we live in a time where options are available in the first place instead of getting so focused on why a product is 'inferior'

myampslouder

Reaction score
Alls I'm saying is we're end users/consumers and generally not pro's (although that's a subjective term lately too). The new CE24's are sick guitars, the original CE's are sick guitars. Be happy we live in a time where options are available in the first place instead of getting so focused on why a product is 'inferior'

This.... So much this.

protest

Reaction score
If it came down to maple tops or USA hardware and recessed knobs, I would have taken the hardware/recessed knobs. They needed to save money somewhere. On the original CE's it was the birds that they dropped off, but they couldn't do that because of the SE and S2 lines. The carve obviously costs money in labor so they shallowed it out. I'm ok with that because it still looks nice.

I think they would be better off with a $2200 price point, with American electronics, their cool solid colors on alder bodies, a hardshell case, and ideally a full carve. Save money on the tops first, on alder vs mahogany, on the finishing process, and then bump the price $200 to get a full carve.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People need to stop comparing it to a guitar that prs stopped making because it cost too much to produce

Let's be clear, they didn't stop the CEs originally because they weren't profitable or somehow difficult to make. They stopped making them because PRS is deathly afraid of ANYTHING cutting into core/full carve model sales.

That's why nothing below ~$3k, regardless of where it's made and what series it falls in, has the full carve.

That's the reason we don't have Standards, and why they lowered the specs so noticeably on this new CE.

Is that fear founded? I don't think so. Maybe it would keep folks from dropping sub-$3k on less popular core models, but it certainly wouldn't stop folks from buying thier $3.5k+ bread and butter.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Is alder actually cheaper than mahogany?

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
The Korean bridge stays in tune great but the US bridge SOUNDS... S O U N D SSSSSS way better.

I'm sure they're great, but man I could care less about the recessed knobs, violin carves, fancy tops and all of that, I just feel like they're missing a barebones PRS with all american hardware. The S2s are already comfortable as hell, why would a $600-$800 difference be the carve and the pickups? Why not better hardware? Is the bolt on design that much more labor intensive?

Like, I might as well just buy an S2 and upgrade the hardware along the way instead of dropping $2,000 more for a custom 24. I'd also buy the hardware from other companies because the US hardware does not retro fit into the SE/S2s/CEs, aside from the bridge.

Maybe one year they'll introduce the MattThePenguin series if I bitch about this enough lmao

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

At the scale PRS likely buys wood, no. That said, the introduction of a new material always comes with costs. I don't believe they currently have an alder model so material costs would rise, but we're talking spare change in comparison to the profit margin, even using the retail model.

protest

Reaction score

Sorry, I was thinking the construction process not the material. That doesn't come across in my post. One solid body means one cut instead of two for the body and top. No joining process either. The alder is just the original body wood, which is why I said it.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Dear god, that trampas green is so &$@&$ sexy, I can't stand it. Unfortunately, if Im going to drop $2k on a Paul Reed Smith, I'd prefer to buy a used core model.

It seems to me they are struggling to match price points to expectations with these new lines. The SE line is spot on, the core line is spot on, but the S2s for me fell flat and now this. Looks great, just maybe not worth two grand.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
well its built as a core model with some changes so what price point did you expect it at :lol:

Ramburger

Reaction score
These look great and are an attractive option for the people who want to get something thats nicer than an S2 without the Core model price tag. I think it would have been better to call it something new to distinguish the differences in the form and hardware when compared to the original CE series.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well its built as a core model with some changes so what price point did you expect it at :lol:

Built as a core model how? This has a simplified top, and the cheaper hardware. Those are kinda the two big things that separate the core from the lower lines. :lol:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Pretty much what Max said. I was excited until I saw the import hardware and the simplified top. I own two core lines, a CU22 and a CU24 with better hardware, and an S2 CU24 with the import hardware, there is a considerable difference in quality.

If they wanted to make it at a price point, why didn't they just bring back the old CE ? Sure it maybe $ 2,500.00 or so but that is no too bad. Also, why didn't they make the CE Alder for it to be cheaper, that would have made it at a slightly lower price point as well.