PRS (SE) 2024

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Of course the day I'm extra anxious about a guitar, Fedex is late lmao.
I feel you pain. FedEx more times than not lets me down. Either they reschedule deliveries to the next day or about a 1/3 of the time they damage the item and it has to go back. At least thats how it is in this area.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
IMG_20231014_185334.jpg

Pictures don't do this thing justice. It looks stunning in person. So glad I didn't get one of the lighter colors ones lol. Only thing I had to do setup wise was fix the saddle heights then wee were off the races. Though I will say...
I wasn't really a fan of them. I replaced them in both of the SEs I have. I just remember they were bassy and trebly. Like mushy and piercing at the same time.
You were right lol. A downgrade from the Tremonti and DGT SE pickups I tried . Definitely not a fan of these. As you said they're muddy and bright at the same time. Great for clean and crunch tones but really suffer under high gain. I got that Duncan 78 on the way but I'm really thinking about throwing in an SH5 custom I got laying around.

Shask

Reaction score
IMG_20231014_185334.jpg

Pictures don't do this thing justice. It looks stunning in person. So glad I didn't get one of the lighter colors ones lol. Only thing I had to do setup wise was fix the saddle heights then wee were off the races. Though I will say...

You were right lol. A downgrade from the Tremonti and DGT SE pickups I tried . Definitely not a fan of these. As you said they're muddy and bright at the same time. Great for clean and crunch tones but really suffer under high gain. I got that Duncan 78 on the way but I'm really thinking about throwing in an SH5 custom I got laying around.
The turquoise is my favorite color of the bunch, but I think the red looks like the best complete package. I think the turquoise would look better with a dark blue back.

Yeah, I remember they sounded very good for clean sounds, but not so much for high gain. I've had a SH-5 in my CU24 SE for years, but thinking about trying a JB for a change.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The turquoise is my favorite color of the bunch, but I think the red looks like the best complete package. I think the turquoise would look better with a dark blue back.

Yeah, I remember they sounded very good for clean sounds, but not so much for high gain. I've had a SH-5 in my CU24 SE for years, but thinking about trying a JB for a change.
Yeah if the blue one had a matching(ish) back, or a black back like this one, I would have grabbed it. But nah, loved the black cherry on black. Plus im a huge Linkin Park fanboy and this reminded me of Brad Delson's #1 PRS so I HAD to jump on it.

And yeah, palm mutes feel so muddy and unsatisfying, but chords under low gain are great. I've heard the bridge as described as having a lot of qualities of a single coil and it definitely reminds me of a P90 or Tele pickup... Just not in the ways I want to use this lmao.

Btw yeah, this thing feels like a fucking tank. Just as solid as the Korean-made PRS SEs I had. Probably even moreso?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also if I end up keeping this guitar, I'm putting a coat of gloss clear on the headstock. The satin headstock is just *weird* :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
85/15s are ass all the way up to the core TCI models. My CU24 has Suhr SSH+/SSV in it which IMO are the pickups Paul thought he was making when he designed the 85/15
Lol I believe it. Google 85/15 and 75% of the results are "why does this pickup suck???" And the other 25% are "guys c'mon they're not that bad ;("
My hate for them softened a bit after playing them a bit longer but yeah, definitely trying the 78 or SH5 once I get some cream pickup rings.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
does anyone know what the diameter the shafts are for PRS SE pots? Looked for PRS forum and in luthery but couldn't find.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the new PRS’ have already been discounted from $849 to $679? Fender Player Series strats are $799 right now too.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the new PRS’ have already been discounted from $849 to $679? Fender Player Series strats are $799 right now too.
They're doing a 20% off sale on all SEs except for the DGT until the end of the year

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
So it arrived today. Not one fit and finish issue detected. Love the feel of the neck finish. Honestly it’s as nicely made as or more so than some USA made guitars costing 3x as much that I own. Does need a set up but other than that…View attachment 131796
After locking tuners and black appointments. Looking for knobs but not sure of what size . Pickup will be swapped. Not a huge fan of these.

IMG_0332.jpeg

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Something tells me you're about to see a ton of those sets second-hand. :lol:
The way I would describe them for high gain would be comparing a muff pi fuzz to a good distortion pedal. You might want that for something sometime but no

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
The way I would describe them for high gain would be comparing a muff pi fuzz to a good distortion pedal. You might want that for something sometime but no
should say 'not' all the time.' not just no....phone is weird today. the pickups sound not focused or something. maybe scooped?

amazingly the USA made version of these pickups is 500.00 a pair for the hums.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Of course the day I'm extra anxious about a guitar, Fedex is late lmao.
Fed Ex is the fucking devil. They delivered my Midi Keyboard days late and to someone else's apartment in my complex. If the dude hadn't been the honest sort and called me from the phone number they put on the package slip, I'd have been out of luck.

Congrats on the guitar though, man. PRS's SE line is insanely good - for the money or not.