PRS (SE) 2024

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
IMG20231017180437.jpg

The Duncan 78 is quite the upgrade in the bridge. It's basically how the 85 SHOULD sound. Tighter bass but still retains that brightness and cut.

I had to put tape on the neck pickup since the springs I had laying around weren't long enough lol. I swapped out the neck pickup for a Yamaha neck pickup I had laying around I quite liked.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
View attachment 132002

The Duncan 78 is quite the upgrade in the bridge. It's basically how the 85 SHOULD sound. Tighter bass but still retains that brightness and cut.

I had to put tape on the neck pickup since the springs I had laying around weren't long enough lol. I swapped out the neck pickup for a Yamaha neck pickup I had laying around I quite liked.
How’s it sound now? I have a Gibson set 498/490s I will probably put in the swamp ash

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Like I said it's still got that twanginess but the low end is still much much tighter. More chug happy.
Cool. thanks for the update. looks like the PU swap is going to be a standard. I will be changing the trem to a Mann Made unit at some point also. I really like this guitar so investing in it is ok to a point.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So funny you want to put cream on yours. I ripped all the stock cream stuff off my SEs years ago, lol.
I had my reasons.

ac1d004432a2edee6ecbfb92bad47262b553cb8f_hq.jpg

I mean the black looked good too for sure lol. I should get a 2nd black cherry guitar just to have one with black rings and one with cream ones lmao
Most likely my next one is gonna be a 277 though. Always wanted to get one again.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
FwIw I've also been thinking about giving the Suhr SSV+ pickup a spin, may use this guitar to test it as well.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is the Player Series Strat worth buying at $800 when the Silver Sky is $120 less? Can’t decide between the two.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Is the Player Series Strat worth buying at $800 when the Silver Sky is $120 less? Can’t decide between the two.
I'd want to make sure the Silver Sky's 8.5" radius wouldn't be an issue. Though the non-Floyd Strat radius isn't much flatter.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd want to make sure the Silver Sky's 8.5" radius wouldn't be an issue. Though the non-Floyd Strat radius isn't much flatter.
Yeah it's 8.5 vs 9.5. At least it's not 7.25. lol
But yeah the Silver Sky seems to be closer to vintage Strat specs it seems.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
My 2 cents, even as someone who loves Fender, is I'd go with the PRS SE Silver Sky at this point purely because their QC is about as bulletproof as you can get for that price range. Never played a bad SE. Played enough Mexican Fenders to assume I'm gonna have to do some light work on them in addition to a setup on purchase.

You won't get a bad guitar either way, but I'm way more confident in PRS's QC - even for their SE line.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Yeah it's 8.5 vs 9.5. At least it's not 7.25. lol
But yeah the Silver Sky seems to be closer to vintage Strat specs it seems.
I love the way the Silver Sky looks (even the headstock), but I wish they did at least some with a 10" radius and big frets. Maybe as a non-JM sig version, but people have wanted that for years so I don't expect it to happen.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I love the way the Silver Sky looks (even the headstock), but I wish they did at least some with a 10" radius and big frets. Maybe as a non-JM sig version, but people have wanted that for years so I don't expect it to happen.
Thats why I want an SE version of the Fiore. It's like a hybrid between the SIlver Sky and a CE 22.

shreddermcgavin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just ordered one of the CE SE’s. Tops on these vary a lot but I couldn’t say no when I saw this one. S/o sweetwater View attachment 131874
This just got here and holy hell how are these only $559 right now! Even the normal $699 is a steal. Not a single finish flaw anywhere. Plays amazing and incredibly snappy/responsive. Frets are perfect and pretty well set up right out of the gig bag. I’ve had SE’s in the past but they didn’t stick around because I’m not a gloss neck guy but I feel like this thing will be around forever. I haven’t been this pumped about a NGD in a very long time. Might do an NGD thread later but I can’t recommend these enough based off the little time I’ve had with it so far.