Prydogga's Guide to Less Painful Band Networking

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
But into words my feelings about the whole thing quite nicely.

This guy, he gets it.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
One helpful tactic I've found for facebook are the "Hide story" and "Do not show related stories" functions, which means I don't have to get my newsfeed filled with crap from my friends in bands endlessly self-promoting. "Hey guys, if you haven't already, click "Like", let's try and get 200 likes before the end of the week!" - er, no thanks.

Murmel

Reaction score
^
Wow, I haven't found any of that stuff among the bands here. They barely update their FB page other than if they have show coming up. Like "We got a show on saturday at -----, hope to see you there!". Or with updates on an upcoming EP or something.

These are just local bands. Usually kids around 15-20. The most popular local band has like 700 likes, and they play rock/prog rock. This is pretty amazing considering how 9/10 kids that visit the shows are hipsters :lol:
But they seem to attract a more mature audience, because most hipsters just talk shit about them :lol:

Check them out if you like. No, this is not my band. I don't even like them, I just want to support the local scene. I don't even have a band atm, I did record some bass for my old band though. Their EP is currently being mixed so I'm stoked for that :)

(Don't expect anything DT or similar, this is very easy to listen to).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liquid-Echoes/211711735402?sk=app_178091127385

Edit: This wasn't meant to become an advertisement, I apologize. Please have mercy :lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
brb off to start a solo project and do ALL the "don'ts"

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good read Pry! :) This inspired me to write up something like this honing in on demographics and maximizing your appeal to that demographic, as it's something very few bands actually understand, and those who do do it so effectively that people don't notice.

Reps will be given! Happy new years! :cheers:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Good read Pry! :) This inspired me to write up something like this honing in on demographics and maximizing your appeal to that demographic, as it's something very few bands actually understand, and those who do do it so effectively that people don't notice.

Reps will be given! Happy new years! :cheers:

Exactly, I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say :D

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
SSO subscribing band didnt get the notice,

Ænimus - Wall | Facebook

and the response i got from posting a link to this thread on there status asking for like to release a playthrough of there song

"When fans won't go to bat for you on their own, well, it's my personal opinion that they're not true fans. They probably found your band's music on some illegal blog and they're not really there to "help" you... they're just waiting until you release more music that they can get 'for free' with not an ounce of effort required on their part.

So... you're left with looking for other options to help get your music out, and depending on what kind of budget you have for marketing/promotion (and for most unsigned bands, that budget is $0), you can set a definitive number of 'likes' that you want your band to reach before you release anything new, be it a play through of a song that's already been released, or a new song altogether. The people that genuinely want to see those video clips and hear those new songs will help you get there as quickly as they possibly can. It only takes seconds to tag a band... how much effort is really required?

The sad fact of the matter is, if all 3,787 people liked this band THAT much, they could be at 7,000+ likes overnight. And it would only continue to grow at a truly rapid rate from there because more people hear it, more people tag the band, etc, ad nauseam. Until bands have fans that dig them enough to promote them consistently for no other reason than they want other people to hear them, All bands (signed AND unsigned), labels, social media managers, etc can do is keep playing the guessing game and trying new things. And it's different for each band... which is another issue in and of itself."