Quest to get to Drop F# on a 26.5 seven.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Currently searching for thick enough strings for this. I usually play 10-56s in Drop A. Right now I'm looking at a stringjoy set that is 12-72. It says it will add about 10 pounds of tension, so it'll probably require some set up, if anyone knows a better set please let me know. I'm also worried these strings will be too thick to fit in the nut and tuning peg of the guitar, so any advice on that would be helpful as well. Also I'm broke af so I can't afford a multiscale guitar or a 27 inch scale. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
Currently searching for thick enough strings for this. I usually play 10-56s in Drop A. Right now I'm looking at a stringjoy set that is 12-72. It says it will add about 10 pounds of tension, so it'll probably require some set up, if anyone knows a better set please let me know. I'm also worried these strings will be too thick to fit in the nut and tuning peg of the guitar, so any advice on that would be helpful as well. Also I'm broke af so I can't afford a multiscale guitar or a 27 inch scale. Thanks!
On mine, I'm using an 11-74 set, but we did have to drill out the tuners. Any string gauge change will probably require a little setup;) so good luck!

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best way to find out is give it a go I suppose. I'm already using a 59 for Bb on a 7 and it feels pretty floppy, so I'd imagine you'll need to be in the 70's for a good feel in F#.
Maybe measure what your nut slot width and see how big you can get away with and try that first without doing anything drastic. You'll probably need to mess with the Truss Rod and Action/saddle height for sure for that thick of a string.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On mine, I'm using an 11-74 set, but we did have to drill out the tuners. Any string gauge change will probably require a little setup;) so good luck!
Hmm, having to drill tuners sounds like a pain, if you remember, how close were the strings from fitting, I don't mind the strings being slightly more loose to avoid drilling.

ixlramp

Reaction score
A .068 F# is the same tension as a .056 A, according to the Stringjoy tension calculator, and a .068 will probably fit in the tuner hole. Perhaps try that first to avoid unnecessarily drilling the tuner? You will have to file out the nut slots though, a cheap and fairly straightforward DIY job once you research how.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Without knowing the tuners you have, we'd have to be psychic to know what size string would fit.

I can say that, in general, anything under a .070" will usually fit a standard guitar tuner, but sometimes even a .065" won't.

A 27" scale isn't going to gain you much over a 26.5" scale.

Thicker strings sometimes sound muddy. Drop F# should be doable with 26.5" and something under 0.070", though. Strings are a couple bucks, so, if you try something like a 0.065" and it doesn't work, just take some notes as to what, exactly, you dislike about it, and then spend the $3 for a different string that ticks all of your boxes.

And, if the strings are too muddy, too thick to fit without mods you don't want to do, or too floppy at the thickness you can use, try tuning up to something that works.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
You can always unwind the string to make it fit through the tuning peg. Have to do that with my Jackson, unwind the 80 gauge string to go Drop E. The Daddario NYXLs don't tend to keep unwinding after I've put them in, but results may vary.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've had many guitars, and not one of them had any issue fitting a .074. I'm not saying I don't believe people, I just have used all sorts of tuners and havent ran into this issue?

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get a pitch shift pedal like the digitech the drop or use software to pitch shift. Otherwise you'd want a 74 gauge for 16 lbs. tension. The nut has to be filed at this point and intonation will be a mess.

Muzz

Reaction score
And here I am using 10-52 + 74 for seven string half step down (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb). You will likely need to get the nut filed; I took mine to a tech and he did it for free in <5 min haha. Depending on your headstock configuration you might need to drill out the tuner but it is a very easy job to do.

For me I would probably go with an 80 if you're tuning down to F, in which case I would say you're definitely needing to drill out the tuner and file the nut. I find 74 gets floppy around drop G, barely fine for A; again this is MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS GOSPEL.

Hope it helps :)

ixlramp

Reaction score
Right now I'm looking at a stringjoy set that is 12-72. It says it will add about 10 pounds of tension, so it'll probably require some set up, if anyone knows a better set please let me know.
There is no point in buying a Stringjoy 'set' (unless every gauge is exactly what you need, which is extremely unlikely) because there is no cost penalty for a custom set (unlike the big string companies), and custom sets are easy to order.
So it is always best to use the tension calculator and design a custom set where every string has precisely the tension you prefer and need. You can have every string match your current string tensions if you want.

You will need an intonation and saddle height setup even if the total tension is the same, because the gauges and string constructions will have changed.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I p
And here I am using 10-52 + 74 for seven string half step down (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb). You will likely need to get the nut filed; I took mine to a tech and he did it for free in <5 min haha. Depending on your headstock configuration you might need to drill out the tuner but it is a very easy job to do.

For me I would probably go with an 80 if you're tuning down to F, in which case I would say you're definitely needing to drill out the tuner and file the nut. I find 74 gets floppy around drop G, barely fine for A; again this is MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS GOSPEL.

Hope it helps :)
I prefer a light gauge, i find a brighter tone in it (useful for this low shit) and I find it easier to bend. I bought a pack of stringjoy 11-70s do you think (generally) I would need to file or drill for that. I can't really afford a tech and don't wanna screw up my guitar. However any less and it would be too loose, so i have to go for this set. Thanks!

soundbase

Reaction score
Hmm, having to drill tuners sounds like a pain, if you remember, how close were the strings from fitting, I don't mind the strings being slightly more loose to avoid drilling.

Normally the 68, and 72's taper. So they should fit fine in the machine head. But you will probably need to file the nut. But its pretty easy to do. Just do it slowly. And if you don't have nut files. You can just use the strings and move it back and forth through the nut to file it down.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Normally the 68, and 72's taper. So they should fit fine in the machine head. But you will probably need to file the nut. But its pretty easy to do. Just do it slowly. And if you don't have nut files. You can just use the strings and move it back and forth through the nut to file it down.
Wouldn't moving using the string to file the nut damage the string? Also how would I know if its filed enough? Sorry, I've only recently started doing my own set ups, so I'm new to this.

Sam Hyland

Reaction score
I use the Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom 8 string set and ditch the 9 gauge for drop F# with a 27” scale length and the tension for me is perfect. Because the lowest string (80 gauge) is to thick for my tuning pegs I have to unwind the string a little to get it in but it works and no drilling required!

I hope that helps.

soundbase

Reaction score
Wouldn't moving using the string to file the nut damage the string? Also how would I know if its filed enough? Sorry, I've only recently started doing my own set ups, so I'm new to this.
No it won't damage the strings.

If you want to get the perfect height for the nut filing, do this.

Get yourself one of those woodcarpenter flat pencils. They quite wide. And then cut it in half. Then if you put the side down with the pencil lead in on the frets, and the tip touching the nut. Then move the pencil back and forth and it will draw in the perfect height that the nut needs to be files down to. And then the thickness of the string will create the width that you need.

Hope this helps. Just do it slow. But it will get you there.

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
UPDATE: I was able to put them on with no filing or drilling. Plays great and sounds awesome in Drop F#.