Question about Edwards compared to LTD Alexi600

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a korean Blacky LTD AL600. I got it for cheap a few weeks ago. I am really liking it more than expected and have been tempted to buy the same thing with a better finish. Can anyone who has the Edwards model and knows the LTD compare and maybe send me some pics of the binding on the Sawtooth one?

I have been thinking of getting the Scythe version but from all I know the only one that comes with an unfinished/waxed neck and no paint are the Blacky and Sawtooth bot respectively from Edwards and LTD.

I would also like to know if the difference in quality is really that great between the two as many people claim on you tube.

BEst regards!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Edwards guitars are assembled, finished, and sorted out in Japan at the ESP Shop. I'd put them, quality wise, somewhere in between the better LTD1000s and ESP Standard series guitars.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The Edwards are a step above the 600 series Alexi's in quality and finish and are pretty much right there with USA ESP Standard Series. The Edwards are also the traditional RR shape. The LTD's being US models had to change the shape a bit for legal reasons. They look a bit like an asymmetrical King V. The Edwards models all have unfinished necks.

neurosis

Reaction score
Are you sure all of the necks are unfinished on the Edwards Al Models? I have seen a review on youtube with a German guy who had the white Scythes model. I love the feel of the LTD. If the Edwards is a step above and really has a nice neck like this one I'd be ready to buy one and sell this.

So it is true what I have read. Edwards is the consumer factory standard for the japanese market and made in japan whereas the LTDs are a model made in Korea as a standard for worldwide sale, right?

The Edwards are a step above the 600 series Alexi's in quality and finish and are pretty much right there with USA ESP Standard Series. The Edwards are also the traditional RR shape. The LTD's being US models had to change the shape a bit for legal reasons. They look a bit like an asymmetrical King V. The Edwards models all have unfinished necks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So it is true what I have read. Edwards is the consumer factory standard for the japanese market and made in japan whereas the LTDs are a model made in Korea as a standard for worldwide sale, right?

Sorta.

Edwards guitars have their bodies and necks made in China. The parts are then shipped to Japan where they get assembled, fret worked, painted, etc. This means their QC is REALLY close to that of ESP guitars.

LTD are made in either South Korea, Indonesia, or China in their entirety. Then shipped globally.

Edwards are primarily available only in Japan, with a few very small non-Japan markets over the last couple years. While LTDs are pretty much available everywhere outside of Japan, minus a few Signature models.

neurosis

Reaction score
Sorta.

Edwards guitars have their bodies and necks made in China. The parts are then shipped to Japan where they get assembled, fret worked, painted, etc. This means their QC is REALLY close to that of ESP guitars.

LTD are made in either South Korea, Indonesia, or China in their entirety. Then shipped globally.

Edwards are primarily available only in Japan, with a few very small non-Japan markets over the last couple years. While LTDs are pretty much available everywhere outside of Japan, minus a few Signature models.

Hi Max. This is very interesting. So some parts from an Edwards are actually chinese while the LTDs are entirely produced on one location.

Would you say that the japanese quality control is better on the Edwards models than the LTDs? I have a japanese Horizon that I love. But my AL600 is really sweet. It cost me really cheap money because it was really abused but I cleaned it from head to toe and made a proper adjustment. I couldn't be happier with it. For some reason it feels really good for what it is. So much that I really enjoy playing on it.

IS this a regular practice? To have guitar parts produced anywhere and then assemble them in the factory that stamps and distributes the final product? According to this my ESP could also have a chance of having chinese woods in it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So some parts from an Edwards are actually chinese while the LTDs are entirely produced on one location.

Yes. The necks, bodies, and fretboards are all created in China.

Would you say that the japanese quality control is better on the Edwards models than the LTDs?

From what I've seen and played the Edwards models are almost on par with ESP branded instruments. The only difference being primarily materials and in some cases hardware. The fretwork on every Edwards LP copy I've seen has been stellar.

Then again, there are some cheaper Edwards models, and they place themselves closer to the LTD line of the fence.

I have a japanese Horizon that I love. But my AL600 is really sweet. It cost me really cheap money because it was really abused but I cleaned it from head to toe and made a proper adjustment. I couldn't be happier with it. For some reason it feels really good for what it is. So much that I really enjoy playing on it.

I'm glad you're happy with your 600 series. I wish my SC608B was as awesome. :(

IS this a regular practice? To have guitar parts produced anywhere and then assemble them in the factory that stamps and distributes the final product?

It's been a practice used by a lot of companies over the years. ESP, Ibanez (Artstar), Suhr (Rasmus), Sadowsky (Metro), Lakland (Skyline), etc. are all examples of a maker having a large amount (or nearly all) of the construction of the instrument taking part the companies premier facility, with it later being worked on and finished in their facility.

According to this my ESP could also have a chance of having chinese woods in it.

There's also the chance that the alien lord Xenu delivered your guitar from the heavens at the ESP factory. :lol:

Guitars with ESP on the front of the headstock (;)) are 100% made in Japan at ESP's shop using quality parts and materials. :yesway:

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
@ neurosis

here's a thread of my Alexi not long ago.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/169960-ngd-edwards-japan-sawtooth-content.html

Don't have any LTD's to compare with my Edwards but the finish of the fretboard is really good and smooth to play with.
The overall finish is by far better than on my Japanese Jackson COW7 (to be fair the COW was much lower priced).

dsc00546go.jpg

neurosis

Reaction score
Great to know my beloved Horizon is really top qality then.

WOW! That Edwards! It has such an amazing board. Well. I can tell you that the ebony on that looks really close to my Horizon and the binding and frets look almost identical. The inlays on yours seem to be higher value than mine, too.

From this the LTD really seems to be the less value instrument. I may keep considering getting the AL Scythe Edwards then. If I don't finally jump on a Caparison I have seen for sale anytime soon :D

The neck on your Edwards seems to be unfinished. Do you know if the white Scythe has different versions? The ones I have seen had it painted, but the GErman Store I asked said it's unfinished and waxed.

Cheers!

neurosis

Reaction score
Yes. The necks, bodies, and fretboards are all created in China.

From what I've seen and played the Edwards models are almost on par with ESP branded instruments. The only difference being primarily materials and in some cases hardware. The fretwork on every Edwards LP copy I've seen has been stellar.

Then again, there are some cheaper Edwards models, and they place themselves closer to the LTD line of the fence.

I'm glad you're happy with your 600 series. I wish my SC608B was as awesome. :(

It's been a practice used by a lot of companies over the years. ESP, Ibanez (Artstar), Suhr (Rasmus), Sadowsky (Metro), Lakland (Skyline), etc. are all examples of a maker having a large amount (or nearly all) of the construction of the instrument taking part the companies premier facility, with it later being worked on and finished in their facility.

There's also the chance that the alien lord Xenu delivered your guitar from the heavens at the ESP factory. :lol:

Guitars with ESP on the front of the headstock (;)) are 100% made in Japan at ESP's shop using quality parts and materials. :yesway:

@ neurosis

here's a thread of my Alexi not long ago.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/169960-ngd-edwards-japan-sawtooth-content.html

Don't have any LTD's to compare with my Edwards but the finish of the fretboard is really good and smooth to play with.
The overall finish is by far better than on my Japanese Jackson COW7 (to be fair the COW was much lower priced).

dsc00546go.jpg

AH!!!!!!!! Habe gerade geschnallt das du Deutsch bist, Mann! Grüsse aus Spanien!

(Translated so the rest of you don't go :nuts:: I just realized you are German, greetings from Spain!)

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
ja bin ich, wäre jetzt aber auch gerne in Madrid, dort ist's wahrscheinlich ein paar °C wärmer als hier.
Danke für dein Kommentar !

Don't saw the ED Scythe in person but google picture shows all with painted necks. :scratch:

Edit: Edwards and ESP Scythe have painted necks, only the LTD 600 Scythe seems to have an unfinished neck