Question about triple humbucker schematic.

• Thread starter sytraxiplague
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
So, I've recently been trying to figure out what pickup combo I want to put in my new Steinberger I'm having built.. And I've come to the conclusion that I want this...

(All Seymour Duncans)
Neck - Cool Rail,
Middle - Vintage Rail,
Bridge - JB.

So after figuring out all that I was like "crap... a triple 'humbucker' guitar." So I figured this would obviously mean I'd need a push/pull pot. But I was just curious if anyone here was good with schematics (I assume so). I checked the wiring diagrams on the SD site, and they never list a specific diagram for one humbucker, and 2 "lil' hums". Would it be the same diagram as just 3 "lil' hums" or different since the bridge pup is a full sized humbucker?

Thanks for the help! I'm a noob at this, so bear with me. I appreciate the help in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
You aren't really restricted or limited when it comes to guitar electronics. It only is limited by your imagination.

If you let the community know what you want to do with which controls I'm sure we can help, but i think we need more info to get you pointed the right direction.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
You aren't really restricted or limited when it comes to guitar electronics. It only is limited by your imagination.

If you let the community know what you want to do with which controls I'm sure we can help, but i think we need more info to get you pointed the right direction.

Fair enough. I think what I want to do isn't too complicated. All I really wanted to do was have a JB in the bridge, Vintage Rail middle, and Cool Rail neck, with a master volume which is push pull that splits every pickup, a regular tone, and a plain ol' 5 way switch, that switches normally when in humbucking mode as well as single coil mode.

DTay47

Reaction score
Fair enough. I think what I want to do isn't too complicated. All I really wanted to do was have a JB in the bridge, Vintage Rail middle, and Cool Rail neck, with a master volume which is push pull that splits every pickup, a regular tone, and a plain ol' 5 way switch, that switches normally when in humbucking mode as well as single coil mode.
You would need a push-pull pot to split, but thats all you will need. There are going to be a ton of wires though, so that should be fun hah. Good luck with it!

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
You would need a push-pull pot to split, but thats all you will need. There are going to be a ton of wires though, so that should be fun hah. Good luck with it!

Haha.. I wanted to try to cram an internal GK kit into it to..... Not quite sure how that's going to work out :ugh:. Might have to expand the cavity or make a new one..

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Wiring three pups to coil split through one switch,(push-pull pot) will be tricky.

I would probably fab in some mini toggles to do the job. It would simplify the wiring dramatically. I don't know if you can easily source a push-pull pot with the right configuration for your needs.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Wiring three pups to coil split through one switch,(push-pull pot) will be tricky.

I would probably fab in some mini toggles to do the job. It would simplify the wiring dramatically. I don't know if you can easily source a push-pull pot with the right configuration for your needs.
So how exactly would that work?

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Tell me exactly what you want to do, and I will make you a very simple wiring diagram :p

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Tell me exactly what you want to do, and I will make you a very simple wiring diagram :p
That would be amazing.

I thought it would be fairly simple, but apparently not..

JB in the Bridge,
Vintage Rail in the middle,
Cool Rail in the neck,

regular 5 way switch,

1 push/pull volume (to split all the pickups into single coil mode at once, and the 5 way still function the way it normally would, but switching between the "single coils" (possible?))

one regular tone.

But if this isn't practical, tell me if there are other options that would work just as well (or better) without additional knobs/switches if possible. If not, I can find a place to add them though.

Also I was going to stick an internal GK pickup in it, but don't worry about, as that's pretty much wired separately, right?

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I have another idea if you don't want to poke more holes in your axe.

I believe you need a 3 pole switch for switching all three pups at once,(with a quick google I couldn't find a 3 pole switch push/pull pot) so....

How about a concentric volume/tone pot, and a 3 pole switch where the tone pot used to live?

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I was under the impression that SDs rail pickups were not coil splittable, or at least it doesn't provide any benefit whatsoever...

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Another option is the old Jackson Studio Soloist idea, 3 ea: on-off-on switches, up for single, down for humbucking, center is off. You can run the hot from the switches one to the other (Series) then to the pot terminal for ease of wiring, and you'll get a plethora of switching methods.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Another option is the old Jackson Studio Soloist idea, 3 ea: on-off-on switches, up for single, down for humbucking, center is off. You can run the hot from the switches one to the other (Series) then to the pot terminal for ease of wiring, and you'll get a plethora of switching methods.

This actually sounds pretty cool. I'll have to look into this more.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Would this work for what I'm trying to do?

1lil1v1t5w3s.jpg