Question: Entry vs Mid vs High-End Modelers for Gigging

• Thread starter DoctorStoner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
So let's say I don't want to lug a tube amp around any more. And for this discussion let's say budget is not really a concern overall. I don't need a lot of features, just a few good to great sounds. I do want to be able to control it with a simple footswitch i.e. make 3-5 patches and just select between them.

Do I go more budget and get a Vypyr or Katana (with footswitch) for $3-400 or will I get a ton more sound quality/usability for my buck with something like the FM3/9 for $1100-1800? Open to suggestions.

This will be for rock and metal for me, so gain anywhere from 0-10.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy an fm3/fm9 and go.

People come in with “well you arent using all the features” like leaving guitar controls on 10 and not touching amp settings after finding “the sound” is any different :lol:.

You’ll get a knowledgeable community who can help troubelshoot, likely very useful updates at no additional expense, and great sounds that inspire creativity.

And the money you save trying amps/cabs/pedals can result in some fun guitars ;) (or trips or savings or-).

Buy nice or buy twice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
If budget is no concern, the FM9 is probably the best unit out there right now. Recent firmware updates have really pushed the Fractal stuff to the next level.
Buy an fm3/fm9 and go.
I'd rather spend less - but I'm sure you guys are right. I'm completely out of the loop on these. The last time I was interested and looking was in 2019 when I was researching Kempers.

I'll have to look at the Helix too, they seem like they're both pretty top tier for floor pedal types. Then I'll have to look into power amps...

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll have to look at the Helix too,

Helix is terrible for people migrating from tube amps into a first serious modeler. You spend more time tweaking settings than you do playing guitar and it's a steep learning curve on that unit. Plus, it's the worst sounding, by far, of the major modelers.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Helix is terrible for people migrating from tube amps into a first serious modeler. You spend more time tweaking settings than you do playing guitar and it's a steep learning curve on that unit. Plus, it's the worst sounding, by far, of the major modelers.
Sooooo many things wrong with this statement. This is extremely subjective stuff, I'll admit, but the helix is extremely intuitive, sounds awesome, gets the absolute best customer service and fan support on the planet and the most updates for the oldest hardware.

If you can't walk your way around a helix, how the hell do you work an AxeFX, my guy?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would you be opposed to rack units or no? If not, the AxeFx 2XL or XL+ would likely do everything you need and can be found under 1k.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sooooo many things wrong with this statement. This is extremely subjective stuff, I'll admit, but the helix is extremely intuitive, sounds awesome, gets the absolute best customer service and fan support on the planet and the most updates for the oldest hardware.

If you can't walk your way around a helix, how the hell do you work an AxeFX, my guy?
Subjective stuff aside, Axe takes less work and less knowledge of the unit to get a great sound. For a guy like me that just wants to play the guitar and not go down the rabbit hole of endless modeler settings, that's important.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Would you be opposed to rack units or no? If not, the AxeFx 2XL or XL+ would likely do everything you need and can be found under 1k.
Not opposed if used units are reliable. I will look at them.

Subjective stuff aside, Axe takes less work and less knowledge of the unit to get a great sound. For a guy like me that just wants to play the guitar and not go down the rabbit hole of endless modeler settings, that's important.
Axe rack specifically or the pedals as well? I do all my solo stuff and side projects with Amplitube 5 Max so I totally get when things have too many settings/options... But I wouldn't use it live.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For simple usage (3-5 patches), user friendly & quality sound, check also the Kemper profiler player (inexpensive too). It fits in the guitar bag too...

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
For simple usage (3-5 patches), user friendly & quality sound, check also the Kemper profiler player (inexpensive too). It fits in the guitar bag too...
Been curious if you can do your own profiling with these.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
That looks good. I'll have to check out some reviews. Been listening to a couple rundowns of the HX Stomp, seems like it's in a similar league. Great price point IMO.

col

blah.
Reaction score
I'd rather spend less - but I'm sure you guys are right. I'm completely out of the loop on these. The last time I was interested and looking was in 2019 when I was researching Kempers.

I'll have to look at the Helix too, they seem like they're both pretty top tier for floor pedal types. Then I'll have to look into power amps...
Kemper toaster? You can get those used for about 800 nowadays. After the update it works as usb interface with 44,48,88,96khz output. Rig manager can control the settings as well.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Usability wise Helix is a completely different planet than Axe where you basically have to fire up your PC to do real editing. The fast and intuitive UI is what sets Helix Floor apart from the rest of the pack IMHO. It's pretty expensive though and the Katanas aren't bad at all. If you just want to slap the ON/OFF switch and start chugging away, go with a Katana 100/212. At ~20kg it's still somewhat mobile and has enough firepower for small gigs.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2, which was my primary practice amp ("bedroom playing") for almost a decade. For rock and metal, it's versatile and sounds relatively good at low volumes (unlike my 100W Marshall tube amp). I don't play live, but if I did, I don't think I'd be content with it. Plenty of "bang for buck" for an affordable practice amp though.
I bought an FM3 + studio monitors last year, which has become my primary rig and lives in my music room / home office. I haven't hooked it up to a PA system at a gig venue, but I can only imagine it would sound excellent. The Vypyr has been demoted to my living room, for use at the opposite end of my house when I want a quick play while watching TV / cooking etc.
I have no regrets about buying the Vypyr when I did, as I was renting a not particularly soundproof flat (so couldn't use my tube amp at high enough volumes to sound good) and couldn't afford a better / more expensive modeller. I also have no regrets about buying the FM3, because it's a significant upgrade.