Question: John Christ (Danzig) - Bc Rich with PRS pickups

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking around trying to find out what kind of Pickups he had in his main guitar when he was in Danzig. He has said in interviews that he put in PRS pickups, but never the name of the model(s). At least I haven't found it.

Anyone have any insight into what he used? This was back in the late eighties that he did the swap and he used the PRS pickups on all the Danzig records (the first album with an actual PRS guitar), they were black with no cover.

I know this is a long shot. But maybe someone knows. Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rich5150

Reaction score
If i remember correctly they were the HFS treble and Vintage Bass, Which would make sense seeing as i believe they were the only pickups PRS had out at the time.

infernalservice

Reaction score
Yeah likely to be old white label hfs and vintage bass pickups. I always thought John used his black lpc and his bich as recording guitars. I also believe his amps were older Marshall's on the first 2 records and then he switched to vht. The first two albums definitely have a less metal tone to them. The guitar on Danzig 1 sounds like a slightly crunchier ACDC tone to my ears sometimes.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. If those were the only ones out, it probably was.

The Guitar he had at the time prior to them going into the studio to record the first album broke while on tour. So he went to a music store and tried guitars for hours and ended up picking a PRS one. He used it on all the Rhythm tracks on the record and when time had come for them to record leads, he used the Bich, with the stock pick-ups. After they were done they painted the Bich black, as it was yellow at the time, and put the pick-ups from the PRS guitar into the bich. And that's what he used afterwards.

Here is his gear in the Danzig Period:

1987-1995: 1983 BC Rich Bich guitar with Paul Reed Smith pickups, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez guitars, VHT Pitbull amplifier, VHT 2150 power amplifier, Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer pedal, custom switching boards, D'Aquisto strings.

Latest posts