Questions about cleaning up a fretboard.

• Thread starter TheHumanMeat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHumanMeat

Reaction score
I've used linseed oil to clean up some wooden furniture before and I am curious if I could use it on a fretboard. I've heard of lemon oil being used but I only have linseed oil on me at the moment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Get some mineral oil, DO NOT use lemon oil. Most fretboard cleaner is lemon scented mineral oil, real lemon oil will likely dissolve the glue holding the frets, and the fret markers.

Also, before you oil it I would suggest getting some 0000 grade steel wool and rub down the frets and fingerboard with it. It'll remove dirt from the fretboard, and it will make your frets buttery smooth. Than take a small amount of mineral oil and rub it into the wood all over the fretboard. Just a couple drops onto a paper towel should cover the whole board. That will clean off the remaining dirt, and leave your fingerboard looking sexy as hell. Than rub it down with a dry paper towel, removing the last of the dirt and excess mineral oil.

Also, I have no idea about linseed oil.

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
I wouldn't use linseed oil on your fretboard because it will leave a sticky residue.
Also if it is boiled linseed oil it contains other solvents to speed up the drying which could also cause the glue to loosen.

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
I totally recommend the Dunlop oils. But be sure not to use it on unfinished woods or maples. The Tech Kit would be a great option (although it was cheaper to buy all of them separately). Easy to use, takes like 30 minutes to fully clean up your fretboard and make the guitar feel really refreshed. :)

Killemall1983

Reaction score
For the record, All of these assumptions about linseed oil are actually not true.
I have used boiled linseed oil on my fretboards of the guitars i build for years, and never had a single problem with it. It soaks in well and doesnt in any way harm glue.

frahmans

Reaction score
I used extra virgin olive oil once cause I had nothing else. So we should not use like food oils liberally?

stevexc

Reaction score
Food oil can and will go bad - whether or not it's on your guitar's neck. I don't know what kind of effects rancid olive oil will have on your fretboard but I know it smells at very least. Some people have used it to no ill effects, but come on. Use the appropriate product - the price difference is SO negligible it's not even a valid argument. By the time you finish a bottle of actual fretboard conditioner - assuming you oil maybe half a dozen guitars 1-2 times per year like you're supposed to - your bottle of EVOO will have gone bad anyways and you've wasted 90% of the bottle.