Quick luthiery/manteinance questions not deserving a thread

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
What is a good way to put a rolled edge on an existing guitar? I’ve seen the screwdriver method and that seems pretty yucky to me, from the standpoint of someone who has done some woodworking. My first instinct would be to tape the face of the fretboard off, and tape up to the edge of the fretboard on the neck and use some sort of sanding technique or jig then refile the fret ends.

How far off am I?
I was expecting someone to respond with "just break it in for 10,000 hours / 20 years" 😅

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Thanks - a bit worried about this repair and the lacquer pen really did not help. Is CA glue safe for the lacquer on the fretboard? I was worried about it melting it.

Also which polish do you guys recommend for something like this?
I guess that depends on if it's nitro or not, I don't think CA plays nice with nitro but I've had success with it on acrylic and polyester lacquer.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I guess that depends on if it's nitro or not, I don't think CA plays nice with nitro but I've had success with it on acrylic and polyester lacquer.
Thanks for your replies. I sent this one to the luthier for $50. Guitars worth a bit too much for me to experiment with.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right thread for this but... Ola's doing me dirty again 😤

20240425_173058_compress82.jpg
20240425_180821_compress14.jpg
20240425_173030_compress40.jpg

Anyone ever removed one of these DPDT pots from that stupid hole in a Boden's control cavity? I really, REALLY would not have minded the cavity being a half inch longer on that side... I'd rather not have to remove any wood. They must have got that in there somehow to begin with.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
^^^ oof.. It's almost like they threaded it in lol. I would try to gently tap it back through ( using a mallet or piece of wood to protect the pot/ shaft). You may also be able to press it back through. If it doesn't budge, I dunno if you could actually wiggle it enough to get it back through although I wouldn't want to get too rough with it in that regard. Doesn't appear to be enough room to rotate it counterclockwise out of there.

I wouldn't be concerned with damaging the threads on the pot and even if you do rough-up the wood around the hole, you're going to have to drill or ream it larger anyway so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that either.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got mad and I caved. I took a small semi round file and dug out the corners. I will have to dig out a bit more because the new pot going in there is sliiightly more girthy. Not a huge problem, really, but I am highly annoyed at the lack of thinking in the design of this thing. Ola got it so right in a lot of places, but SO wrong in others...
20240425_190546_compress54.jpg