Quick question about Carvin Custom Shop

• Thread starter CarrotStickles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I purchased my first Carvin custom shop guitar and I think I may have made a mistake. When I was selecting the headstock wood I chose this option: Headstock To Match Body Finish (Standard). I got a Flamed Spalted Maple top on the body. Is that the wood that will be used for the headstock or will it just be the wood that I used for the body, Swamp Ash?

And if it is going to be Swamp Ash would it be to late for me to change that option? I just placed the order less than a week ago.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
It'll be the wood used for the neck. You might have to pay $50 to change your order.

Spamspam

Pastafarian
Reaction score
Call them as soon as they open in the morning.

potatohead

Reaction score
Yes you should have chosen the spalt headstock veneer, which is $60. If you contact them in the AM the order probably will not have been entered and you won't have to pay the change fee.

What guitar did you order?

Reaction score
Yes you should have chosen the spalt headstock veneer, which is $60. If you contact them in the AM the order probably will not have been entered and you won't have to pay the change fee.

What guitar did you order?

A dc727.

I'll make sure to contact them right when I wake up. Could I just send them an email or should I call them?

potatohead

Reaction score
I would call for something like this. To be honest, I'd be surprised if they didn't call you about it anyway. I've only ever seen one spalted Carvin without a matching headstock.

I'm actually going to order a spalt 700 tonight also, so let's hope their spalt stock is nice right now!

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Last time I made that mistake, Carvin called me and asked about it. I'm sure that if you call them right away it won't be a big deal.

Reaction score
Alrighty, I called them up this morning and I got in contact with a fella by the name of Bart. Everything worked out fine and I got it changed pretty much instantly.

I was starting to get kinda scared that it would've been to late and I would have had to pay an extra fee but it all worked out. :hbang:

Can't wait for it to get here!

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Cool. It would be nice if their website would auto select that for you, but then the one person in the world that didn't want it to match would complain :lol:

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
make sure you have it in an e-mail, a post-it note, a napkin, or something in writing that says the change was made just IN CASE they forget to do it and the guitar does not arrive with the correct headstock veneer.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
This is one of the reasons I like Carvin. Even if you had not caught this you could have sent it back within 10 days of when it was delivered to you and had it rebuilt correctly or just said thanks and got a refund with no questions asked.

Who else does that for their customers? And who else could do the builds with your requested options so fast. Hell even if you did a rebuild you would have the correct guitar before most builders ever sent you your guitar in the first place. And probably for way less money in the first place too.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I like Carvin. Even if you had not caught this you could have sent it back within 10 days of when it was delivered to you and had it rebuilt correctly or just said thanks and got a refund with no questions asked.

Who else does that for their customers? And who else could do the builds with your requested options so fast. Hell even if you did a rebuild you would have the correct guitar before most builders ever sent you your guitar in the first place. And probably for way less money in the first place too.

I'll second that. Honestly, their builder could use a little tweaking. When I ordered my DC600, I was originally going to go with the BBE, because I though it would compliment the birdseye fretboard I wanted. But apparently you have to have a top wood to do the faux binding (which is odd... the Ibanez s5470 has natural binding without any top wood, so it's not like it can't be done), but I was still able to select the binding in the builder.

But they did promptly call me to clarify the issue. They're pretty well on the ball these days.