Quick question about telecasters and tuning changing

PietrOo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was thinking of getting a telecaster because I play in a lot of those midwest emo type open tunings like DADGAD DADF#AE FAGCBE etc etc and I change between them often. Is it worth it and more importantly for example if I were doing a live set could I change between tunings on the fly and have it still sound good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
You should without a doubt get a telecaster, it’s an incredibly versatile guitar that will do almost any genre you can throw at it.

Regarding tuning, it’s possible but not optimal. You might want to have a few different guitars for that purpose if possible, especially live.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Limit tunings for live shows. Bring a backup.

It’ll sound as good as the guitar is set up to sound in x tuning.

Grab a few squier classic vibes and go!

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Changing tunings during a live set is a huge amateur move. No audience wants to watch that.

You either need more guitars, or less tunings.

Even if you did do it all with one guitar, your intonation will never be right, leaving you with some sharp or flat notes in various places on the fretboard. Now the audience has to watch you tune the guitar, just for it to sound out of tune anyway :lol:

PietrOo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Changing tunings during a live set is a huge amateur move. No audience wants to watch that.

Even if you did do it all with one guitar, your intonation will never be right, leaving you with some sharp or flat notes in various places on the fretboard. Now the audience has to watch you tune the guitar, just for it to sound out of tune anyway :lol:
Makes sense, obviously I never played live on my own (my school sets up concerts but there isn't any pedal craziness or tunings to worry about) so all this advice is precious.

PietrOo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Speaking of...how do i figure out if my bridge intonation is correct? I tried with comparire the harmonics and open strings but I still feel like some notes sound a bit off. Is there a dumbass (me) proof method to figure it out? Especially for non-standard tunings?

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Speaking of...how do i figure out if my bridge intonation is correct? I tried with comparire the harmonics and open strings but I still feel like some notes sound a bit off. Is there a dumbass (me) proof method to figure it out? Especially for non-standard tunings?
Intonation check = open string vs fretting at 12th fret (or elsewhere depending on where you play the most, but twelfth is the standard)

And I'll echo what the others have said: get additional guitars

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh, just run with it. Set your guitar up for whatever you plan on using the most and just have fun.

Guys break strings, amps cut out, some guitars have tenuous intonation and tuning even when ideal, etc. The audience doesn't care.

By all means, learn how to setup your guitars, it's a great skill to have. And if it were me I'd adjust tunings so you can just get by with a capo.

:2c:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Depends on how much of a jump it would be for the tunings, like DADGAD to DADF#AE isn't substantial, so a guitar set up for one could probably tune to the other easily and still work out well. I'd probably try to plan it so you don't have to have more than a couple guitars at a small local show, just for streamlining things.

But yes, get a telecaster, too, because they are awesome!