Rack Effects Processors

• Thread starter The Scenic View
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Hey SSO, I've come to the conclusion that's I'll be going midi in the near future. Currently I'm running a Mark V into a Stiletto 4x12, with a few stompboxes. Financially, it makes more sense for me to go this route because of the price of a GCX/GCP. Which leaves me limited to the pedals I have. Or I could have a multi-fx unit and keep the pedals at home, which is what I'm leaning towards. What do you guys like that's on the market? Something that's cost effective, reliable, quality effects, easy to use, and that doesn't drastically suck tone. I've looked at the G-Major lines, and the GSP 1101, and I'm getting lots of mixed reviews between the two. I'm already aware I'll have to get something like the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo to use the Mark at it's full potential with the fx unit. All comments and reviews are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
if you're only interested in effects and not worried about having a direct to FOH signal, you could look at older 24bit dsp stereo effects processors. rocktron prophecy, intellifex, lexicon mpx g2, digitech 2101 etc...

I used a lexicon mpx g2 with a triaxis from 2003-2010 with excellent results. it even has a single relay/footswitch jack for controlling amps. also, it was my first encounter with rack effects units that allowed you to route effects in front of an amp or in it's loop and vice versa.

look around various classifieds sections here :cool: and other forums; also skim through a few user manuals of units that catch your attention. you might find something great and affordable. :yesway:

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll do my homework on the lexicon unit. I'm very intrigued by the fact it allows you to route effects in the loop and in front of the amp. Now, can the mpx g2 be controlled by third party controllers? What else is out there that has a wide variety of quality effects that wont break the bank?

WarMachine

Reaction score
Don't rule out a GSP1101 either. Those things sound amazing and if you ever feel the need to try out different sounds you could always use the Mesa as a PA and run the GSP as a preamp. I love mine!

The Scenic View

Reaction score
I remember reading that the Lexicon mpx1 can "route effects in front of the amp, and in the loop". Would that be done with the 4CM? If so then I might save my self a headache in trying to program one of those things, and buy something newer.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
4cm is par for the course. I used an axess electronics mfc5 to control the mpx g2, it can respond to anything midi capable.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Don't rule out a GSP1101 either. Those things sound amazing and if you ever feel the need to try out different sounds you could always use the Mesa as a PA and run the GSP as a preamp. I love mine!

How do you like the effects on your GSP 1101? Do you use the 4CM?

Oreo_Death

Blackbird
Reaction score
Yeah I just recently got my POD HD Pro. Im really new to the processor scene, but I am not disappointed by this unit. I got mine used for $450 and from what Ive heard, there's nothing drastically different from the Pro and ProX to justify the cost increase. There's just so much at your fingertips, it's amazing. Not to mention I love being able to just go guitar>POD>Laptop and record, something I wasn't able to do on my previous set-up

I've never played an AXE-FX or anything, but from what I have gotten out of my POD, I would recommend it for the quality stuff I've heard come out of these things and the price. As long as you put the time into making quality tones, it'll give right back to you :agreed:

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
How do you like the effects on your GSP 1101? Do you use the 4CM?

I think the effects are pretty solid on the GSP1101. For recording purposes it really shines using the Beta software so you can add your own impulses.

As to the 4CM, it is literally designed to be used in that way. The setup wizard is really intuitive and can cover almost any kinda setup you can throw at it. I use mine exclusively with 4CM (which is all doable through the back panel).

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Have you considered the Eventide Factor pedals? Or maybe the Eventide H9? They may be called "stomp boxes" but they are really rack FX processors that you step on. They are expensive and complicated but they are extremely powerful, dead quiet, and the sound quality is second to none. I could shower the Factor pedals with praise for hours but I'm really hungry so I'll have to do that later. :cheers:

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
Have you considered the Eventide Factor pedals? Or maybe the Eventide H9? They may be called "stomp boxes" but they are really rack FX processors that you step on. They are expensive and complicated but they are extremely powerful, dead quiet, and the sound quality is second to none. I could shower the Factor pedals with praise for hours but I'm really hungry so I'll have to do that later. :cheers:

if cost isn't an option, then the Eventide stuff should be on your list. You don't get as much mileage as you would with a multi but dogdamn do they kick ass for what they do. They deliver live on stage andin the studio.:agreed:

Edit: just checked out the h9..... Do want.

Last edited:

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the feedback! I'll give the H9 some thought, but I'm more inclined to a rack based unit because I will be getting a road case in the near future and would like the unit to live in there. I know I'll have a foot switch controlling my fx unit, haha. I'll be comparing the POD HD Pro to the GSP 1101 for the next little while now. Any more input and experience is always appreciated! How easy are the POD and GSP to program?