Rack Gear Isolation?

• Thread starter BIGRIGG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
Hey there,
besides using non concucting washers for rack mounting....what do you do when the actual rack units touch each other when mounted? I realize I could leave one rack space between each unit, but that is twice the space needed and looks like crapola.
The EQ is against the pwr conditioner is against the switcher etc. The faces all touch each other when installed on the rack rails.
Any ideas? I don't want to take out the grinder and shave them down.:eek:
thanks very much.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
What's wrong with your rack units touching each other?

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
What's wrong with your rack units touching each other?
If they want to touch each other, that's their business and I won't judge. Seriously though, to try and eliminate any ground loop capabilities.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If you're using grounded plugs and sockets to the same power source (i.e. into a 4-way into the same wall socket) there shouldn't be any ground loop concern. Most high end rack gear if not all will have the outer casing grounded anyway.

If you're having ground loop issues, it's probably something else, it's not likely to be anything to do with the metal cases touching one another.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rack isolation tabs like HUM-Frees have done wonders for me over the years!! What alot of pro rig builders also do is place a layer of thin non-conductive vinyl in between each unit.