Randall 667, am I crazy?

Semetery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying to decide if I'm crazy.

I have a Randall 667. And I adore that damn thing. It does the Randall sound, sure, but so much more. It's incredibly versatile with all the channels and I consider it a massive pro that it doesn't sound like everything else when I jam on it. While I love Marshall, EVH, all sorts of things, this is the one amp I have where I feel like I'm sounding somewhere else in a good way. I had the Thrasher 120 and like the 667 miles more.

So with that in mind.... I'm considering parting with it to try something different. I've been jonesing to get into a Butterslax or JJ. Maybe a Splawn Nitro. Uberschall. Dual Dark?

I'm really asking for opinions I guess. Are the others I'm thinking of going for worth parting ways with something that is so rare to find AND sounds great? To you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semetery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been trying to find someone around with a Splawn or Uberschall and no luck so far.

I have a Rockerverb, so I know what the Dual is sort of going to give, which I'd like. I've had a BE100 Deluxe, so I know what the Friedmans will sort of do (and I didn't love it) I but never heard either of the others in a room. I know I'd dig a Splawn, but how much I couldn't say.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been trying to find someone around with a Splawn or Uberschall and no luck so far.

I have a Rockerverb, so I know what the Dual is sort of going to give, which I'd like. I've had a BE100 Deluxe, so I know what the Friedmans will sort of do (and I didn't love it) I but never heard either of the others in a room. I know I'd dig a Splawn, but how much I couldn't say.

No local studios, shops, or backline rental companies?

Werecow

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying to decide if I'm crazy.

I have a Randall 667. And I adore that damn thing. It does the Randall sound, sure, but so much more. It's incredibly versatile with all the channels and I consider it a massive pro that it doesn't sound like everything else when I jam on it. While I love Marshall, EVH, all sorts of things, this is the one amp I have where I feel like I'm sounding somewhere else in a good way. I had the Thrasher 120 and like the 667 miles more.

So with that in mind.... I'm considering parting with it to try something different. I've been jonesing to get into a Butterslax or JJ. Maybe a Splawn Nitro. Uberschall. Dual Dark?

I'm really asking for opinions I guess. Are the others I'm thinking of going for worth parting ways with something that is so rare to find AND sounds great? To you?
If it were me, i know i'd not part with it. It's fair enough getting rid of something rare if i don't fully gel with it, but something i really like where i might not ever see another one for sale?

The "others" amps might be worth it to other people, but at the end of the day it's all personal taste. Try the amps out before getting rid of your beloved unicorn. This all smacks of future regret with how lovingly you talk about the 667.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
that amp is relatively rare unless you have the dough too commission a meathead which is now...umm checks internet....8000 dollars wtf.

ya never sell the 667. it's a great amp.

Gmork

Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! KEEP WHAT YOU LOVE!!!!! ive gone down this absolutely asinine road before and ill FOREVER be kicking myself.
DONT SELL IT. Just get the $$$ however else. Trust me. Dont be Fn stupid

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
If you love something...don't let it go free.

There's only a few pieces of gear I place an untouchable no sell pedestal: my FJA 6505, modded Tight Metal Pro, and my Agile 727 that I recorded my band's albums with. It sounds like you really love this amp, I wouldn't part with something like that. You can always just save up while you consider your options and keep an eye on the used market.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Seeing as Randall is pretty much dead, I'm not sure parting with an amp you love and enjoy is that good of an idea. Alternatively, I'd save up the cash for something else, and test both, and see which you like the most. Otherwise, you run the risk of selling the Randall, getting something else, not liking it as much as the Randall or as much as you thought, and then having to sell that, all the while having difficulty finding a new 667. I say keep the 667, save up for another amp, and either keep both, or sell the one that wins the shoot out.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You're not crazy, just GAS'd.

Just hold onto it. Sell stuff you don't use ore care for, not things you genuinely like unless you really have to.

FearComplex

Reaction score
The 667 is a keeper imo. The 5th channel is so good and the cleans are tremendous.