Randall Thrasher 50

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The Thrasher won't take an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop without clipping. I reduced the output level until there was no clipping but at that point the amp sounded like an angry mosquito. No power and ZERO low end, just harsh buzzy highs.

Its essentially a line level effects loop with adjustable output level that, when at a low setting, is suppose to behave like a regular old instrument level effects loop but, it doesn't. It massively changes the sound in a very bad way.

The only way I think that amp would be worth anything is if you got one, modded the effects loop to be a standard, instrument level, series effects loop then added an EQ. (Unless you have a line level rackmount EQ)

Anyway, thats my rant. Please do yourself a favor and get the 5150III instead. That amp just has everything: Balls, clarity, aggression, great clean channel, midi, etc...

Not exactly related to the thread or general Thrasher conversation, but I fixed my problems with the white-hot line level FX loop signal of my Überschall Twin Jet by using an Ebtech line level shifter.

The signal is still too hot for me to use the same pedals in stereo with my other heads since I keep the channel volumes on my other amps much lower, but by itself I have no problems using it with my Strymon units, M9, G Major, etc. :yesway: the only pedals I still face problems with are Boss pedals like my GE-7 whose buffers still don't like the TJ signal due to impedance/overall level/whatever, but my DD-20 is fine since it can be set to accept/put out line level.