Randall VMAX. Good for djent? Progressive metal?

Whyteguy

Reaction score
So I recently bought myself a schecter blackjack atx c-8 and love it. I'm looking into buying a bigger better rig and go for something a little more fitting for my style. A local guitar shop has a Randall Vmax and a 4x12 cab (not quite sure the exact cab) for 1000 dollars. I am into stuff like periphery, Animals As Leaders, Keith Merrow, Meshuggah and Vildhjarta. Would it be suitable for it? Considered getting a rockerverb 100 or a dual rec but obviously there is a substantial price difference. Anyways. Your opinions ?:idea:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AzzMan

Reaction score
VMax half stack for $1000? Worst deal in history. Maybe it's a different story if it's in CAD but I don't know the current exchange rate. A V2 half stack would be worth it, or even a T2, but not a Vmax. Those are just problem-ridden, old versions of the V2.

For that much cash, if you want an amp that can do what you're talking about, maybe you should look at modelling gear.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
very nice amp, not worth that much cash these days. look for a newer amp in that range, good luck.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
VMax half stack for $1000? Worst deal in history. Maybe it's a different story if it's in CAD but I don't know the current exchange rate. A V2 half stack would be worth it, or even a T2, but not a Vmax. Those are just problem-ridden, old versions of the V2.

For that much cash, if you want an amp that can do what you're talking about, maybe you should look at modelling gear.

:shrug: I never, ever had an issue when I had the VMax, and while I had it I loved every second.

Great amp, and yes it will nail the tones you are looking for pretty perfectly, and with a great deal of versatility to spare. I would agree thought that it's probably worth trying to find a V2 instead though - they made some slight changes that make it just that little bit better.

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
:shrug: I never, ever had an issue when I had the VMax, and while I had it I loved every second.

Great amp, and yes it will nail the tones you are looking for pretty perfectly, and with a great deal of versatility to spare. I would agree thought that it's probably worth trying to find a V2 instead though - they made some slight changes that make it just that little bit better.

I had one too, good amp, didn't know it was my Marshall 1960A cab that made it sound shitty....but ya, the V2 is better, MIDI functionality. I don't THINK the Vmax had that...That's a step up right there.

shogunate

Reaction score
Another vote for the V2 and T2 :yesway: Excellent amps and I'd argue that for a lot of tones, superior to a lot of the all tube designs.

The solid state poweramp doesn't distort or flub out on the lower notes like with traditional tube power amp designs, not that there aren't tube amps that can get that tight though :2c: which is why it's great for djentydjent djdjdjdjents.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: on the two above. The all solid state channel was, honestly, my favorite (but admittedly I have a thing for over-gained industrial buzzsaw tones), which it worked for. The "Tube" channel I had more of a Disturbed-cross-Meshuggah-cross-Mushroomhead sort of thick, heavy grind.

AzzMan

Reaction score
:agreed: on the two above. The all solid state channel was, honestly, my favorite (but admittedly I have a thing for over-gained industrial buzzsaw tones), which it worked for. The "Tube" channel I had more of a Disturbed-cross-Meshuggah-cross-Mushroomhead sort of thick, heavy grind.

Both of those are excellent descriptions of why I love Randall tone. I've only ever seen Vmaxes with problems and heard almost all negative things about them regarding reliability from owners up until now. Regardless, he should probably get one of the amps from the Randall family of hybrid amps. I think we can all agree on that :cool: