Raunchy Tele tone

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tele's have surprised me in recent years. I got bored and went to GC one day just to grab a couple of tele's and play them under high gain just to see. So much fun to play, easy to get those later Green Day tones from them. Just a unique sound.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Tele's have surprised me in recent years. I got bored and went to GC one day just to grab a couple of tele's and play them under high gain just to see. So much fun to play, easy to get those later Green Day tones from them. Just a unique sound.

It is. And easy to get a really good stringy thrash tone with clarity. My signal chain is extremely simple too. No change from what I use for my 8 string. EQ preamp up front, amp gain around noon.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thought this would be a la Whores. “gold” tele fuzz plexi stuff hehe.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Nah, it’s fun to me to do non-stereotypical Tele sounds. Most people don’t think of Teles as good at high gain. I respectfully disagree. They’re also great Jazz guitars.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah, it’s fun to me to do non-stereotypical Tele sounds. Most people don’t think of Teles as good at high gain. I respectfully disagree. They’re also great Jazz guitars.
Not a jazz guy, but I can definitely see the neck pick up sounding great for jazz tones

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would love to try the PRS tele thing that just got released. Solves what has always been the tele problem for me which is low output single coils. The humbucking singles on that actually have vintage humbucker levels of output.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Look up the song “baby teeth” by Whores. :yesway:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I would love to try the PRS tele thing that just got released. Solves what has always been the tele problem for me which is low output single coils. The humbucking singles on that actually have vintage humbucker levels of output.

I’m considering modding this guitar quite a bit. Put a chopper T in the bridge. And a split on the tone knob. All the chrome will be black, and the pick guard brushed aluminum. It’ll looks classy still. But meaner. Gotta be able to get that low output single bridge sound still though.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, the rail in my Contemporary is hotter than I would like, but fuck me if it doesn't sound fat as all hell on my Recto patch

død

Reaction score
Beaten to Death have been rocking telecasters and churning out gross grindcore since day one, they’ve always sounded incredible and have great, distinguisable guitar tones. The way the arpeggiated melodies in the chorus punch straight through the mix is pure Telecaster-magic.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Beaten to Death have been rocking telecasters and churning out gross grindcore since day one, they’ve always sounded incredible and have great, distinguisable guitar tones. The way the arpeggiated melodies in the chorus punch straight through the mix is pure Telecaster-magic.

Fuck. Yeah.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Sounds killer! There's something so aggressive and gnarly about single coils under high gain when done right. It doesn't sound thin, exactly, but it's lean in the best way.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Sounds killer! There's something so aggressive and gnarly about single coils under high gain when done right. It doesn't sound thin, exactly, but it's lean in the best way.

Yeah. And gnarly is the right word. Teles are the most versatile guitar ever made in my opinion. They work for everything. May not be ideal, but they’ll get it done not just adequately, but well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. And gnarly is the right word. Teles are the most versatile guitar ever made in my opinion. They work for everything. May not be ideal, but they’ll get it done not just adequately, but well.
Eh I think the main models that have existed since the 50s all have that versatility. And i say that as a tele owner who was in a tele-fronted band :lol:.

The amount of les paul juniors on albums would probably shock us all.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Eh I think the main models that have existed since the 50s all have that versatility. And i say that as a tele owner who was in a tele-fronted band :lol:.

The amount of les paul juniors on albums would probably shock us all.

I don’t find Les Pauls all that versatile. jrs on the other hand…. That one pickup, P90, Jr thing is quite awesome. They rip for sure. But Teles have a sound that is pretty unmistakable. Like a strat. I wouldn’t use a Strat or a Jr for jazz though.