Reached a plateau and don't know how to get past it...

• Thread starter guitarist10
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I've been playing for about 11 years now, and still go through these issues. I guess guitarists of all skill and experience levels go through this. phrygian12 explained in detail exactly how I get through lead parts, so I don't have to repeat that.

Take it easy, start slow, but above all, PLAY CLEANLY.

Slop isn't style, it's slop.

Achieve clean playing first then aim for higher speeds.

Good luck!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McCap

Reaction score
Many great advices given already!

Here's an odd one, which may be just a personal thing, but maybe it helps you as well:
Play some Funk music.
Make it groove!

And derived from the funk thing:
Take some groovy rythm patterns and apply them to a single string (so you are back to your alt. picking). Practice those at good tempos but always focus on the groove.

I know it sounds odd, but it helped me :nuts::D
I think the funk stuff helped my loosen up and approach picking stuff much more loose.

McCap

Reaction score
Ah, I forgot one of my fnew favourites:
Reverse the picking pattern. Start everything you normally start with a downstroke with an upstroke. This can be a total mindfuck but got me out of some bad habits.
Cheers

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ah, I forgot one of my fnew favourites:
Reverse the picking pattern. Start everything you normally start with a downstroke with an upstroke. This can be a total mindfuck but got me out of some bad habits.
Cheers

This is a cool little trick and it actually makes some passages easier to play but it's hard to do at first.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
It's good to get you in practise for when you face odd numbers in passages, as well. That way your up pick can still be strong and consistent enough to support a downbeat.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I had to learn to do it for sequencing ascending diminished sweeps. Also, some of the 5 string arpeggios are a little easier if you play them starting with an upstroke on the 5th string.

It's at a point now where I don't even always think about whether I'm using and up or down stroke and I love it bc the less you have to think about your technique the more time you have to think about other things like phrasing and what not.