Recomend me a speaker!!!

• Thread starter Ostia Man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mniel8195

Reaction score
evh speakers...lynchbacks...creambacks...ton of stuf eminence makes and scumback

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
call me a victim of capitalism, but I alway thouhgt that they where of lower qualitty because they are cheaper than celestion.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
call me a victim of capitalism, but I alway thouhgt that they where of lower qualitty because they are cheaper than celestion.

DiMarzios and Duncans are cheaper than EMGs. Does that mean that EMGs are better?

Is a Soldano SLO better than a Mesa Roadking?

Celestion speakers, which are now made in China and not the UK, are somewhat overpriced compared to even the more boutique makers out there. Considering how easy they are to come by on the second hand market especially. They are still legendary speakers though.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score

No, if anything Eminence are higher quality than your average Made in China Celestion and equal to the Made in UK Celestions. Eminence are made in America. The Eminence counterparts to Celestion speakers tend to have a higher power handling as well.

For instance, the Celestion Vintage 30 handles 60 watts whereas the Eminence Governor 75.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, if anything Eminence are higher quality than your average Made in China Celestion and equal to the Made in UK Celestions. Eminence are made in America. The Eminence counterparts to Celestion speakers tend to have a higher power handling as well.

For instance, the Celestion Vintage 30 handles 60 watts whereas the Eminence Governor 75.

I wouldn't live by those power handling numbers, like amp wattage, they aren't really something that you can perfectly measure and quantify. How else would amps and speakers always have wattage and handling that are perfect multiples of five. :lol:

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I wouldn't live by those power handling numbers, like amp wattage, they aren't really something that you can perfectly measure and quantify. How else would amps and speakers always have wattage and handling that are perfect multiples of five. :lol:

Very true, but I'm pretty intimately familiar with those two speakers in particular and the Eminence does seem to handle a bit more before it starts crunching up. Whether or not the numbers are spot on or not, I do buy the Eminence handles a bit more, at least in that particular case.

1 sample set is too few to make a valid comparison though I'll readily admit:agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
is tje texas heat o the blackmountain a celestion equivalent?

Nope. Some of the Eminence lineup can be considered "Celestion equivalents", but that's a pretty small chunk of their product lines. Compared to WGS which the majority of their speakers are Celestion-mods (that sound absolutely amazing).

Those being non-Celestion is why I recommended them in particular as you didn't seem to want any of the best Celestions. :lol:

Very true, but I'm pretty intimately familiar with those two speakers in particular and the Eminence does seem to handle a bit more before it starts crunching up. Whether or not the numbers are spot on or not, I do buy the Eminence handles a bit more, at least in that particular case.

1 sample set is too few to make a valid comparison though I'll readily admit:agreed:

Eminence do tend to have a latter breakup, I agree. I just wouldn't focus on the numbers they're giving you and try to quantify it. :agreed:

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
IRRC, those both come from the Patriot line. So they most likely aren't voiced like a Celestion. The Texas Heat is gnarly though, my band mate has them in his cab with Wizards as well.

May I ask why you want a classic rock sound, but not some of the speakers most associated with that sound?

Unless it's specific qualities of those speakers. Like you love the v30 except for... Then price comes into play. You can get Weber or Scumback speakers, which are pretty pricey. WGS and Eminence come to mine for the not way expensive brands, WGS have a lot of models that are modeled after v30, Greenbacl, t75, etc Eminence have the Redcoat series for the British voiced speakers.

Edit: D'oh! That's what I get for tabbed forum browsing, left this half filled comment alone for a bit, finished it and posted, only to have Max nail everything in a more concise manner!

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
is not that I dont want the best celestion models. is just that I thought I could try something different. in my cab I already have a v30, gt75 x2 and the c 90(rip)

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Check the Eminence web site...

They have lots of audio samples that give you a great idea of what you are getting into...

Even though I tend to be a full on gain kinda guy, the tonal texture I heard on the website with much lower gain samples for their Swamp Thangs, Governors and Wizard are pretty much right on the money for what I got with those three speakers... I couldn't be happier with my Eminence.

I've not tried a lot of Celestions, but the ones I did I didn't like at all: the Seventy 80, G12T-75, G12M-70. I've heard awesome things about the V30's though...

Check out Pete Thorn's demos for Scumbacks... awesome sounding.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I've heard really good rock tones from Jensen speakers too,(specifically the C-series) in addition to the Emi's mentioned already.