Recommend me a fakebook...

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've just been browsing online for a decent fakebook to help improve my repetoire. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done, as there are a lot of different ones avaible, and they often don't have reviews or synopsises available to give a clue as to their contents.
Does anyone have a particular edition they'd recommend? I don't mind paying a bit extra (within reason) as this'll hopefully be something I keep refering to in the future. Basically, I'd prefer one that focuses on all the classic standards and 'serious' jazz tunes than songs from musicals and the like (this seemed to be a problem with a lot of the ones I saw reviewed).

Anyone got any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
"The Real Book"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Book

It may be tough to find online, but go to a good music store. Find their transcription section, and then really dig around. I found my copy under the shelf that they keep all their jazz standards on, tucked into crates down there. It's semi-legal at best, but it's also considered a necessary evil of the jazz world, since it's sort of a "musical common ground" for jazz musicians to play - you open the Real Book to a particular head, then say "Ok, go."

I've never met a jazz player who uses anything else.

LilithXShred

Mah Kitteh doez Coke
Reaction score
Real Book 1 - 3 or the New Realbook 1 - 3. The Fakebook, The Book, The Colorado Cookbook. I like the Real Book and the New Real Book the most.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew, I just picked up the edition you recommended. It was shoved hidden under the shelves, like you said, and took a bit of poking around to find. Thanks for the recommendation. I just got it out of the plastic wrapper, and it's exactly what I needed.:yesway:

ctr88x

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping an old thread. DR, was the book you found an authentic (bootleg) Real Book and not the Hal Leonard one? I'm trying to figure out if the fifth edition is still getting sold widely or if I'm going to feel like a toolbox digging around here for it.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping an old thread. DR, was the book you found an authentic (bootleg) Real Book and not the Hal Leonard one? I'm trying to figure out if the fifth edition is still getting sold widely or if I'm going to feel like a toolbox digging around here for it.

No, it was the 'legal' Hal Leonard version, not a bootleg.

Amazon.com: The Real Book: Sixth Edition - C Instruments: Books: Various Artists

^^^That's the exact edition I brought. Can't really recommend it enough. I've read a lot of reviews by purists who've kinda sneered at it (mainly old-school jazzers who owned the original bootleg versions), but I've been really happy with mine.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts