Recommend me a used Prestige

• Thread starter Velokki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Well, this has got to be the most SSO-compatible thread I've ever made.

The thing is this; I used to have an Ibanez 1527. Loved the feel of it but my thumb always got sore behind the neck. It was too slim. Same happened with an RGD-2127.
Would there be an Ibanez 7-string you would recommend with a different, a bit fatter neck profile?

I really wanted to love both of those Ibanezes I owned, but the neck shape just wasn't for me.

Thanks for all advice and input!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty much any J.Custom RG7, if you're not too picky as far as color and top quality you can find "used Prestige-esque" deals.

There's the AX7521, but on top of being on the rarer side you'll also have to sift through literally 68,975,889,658 AX7221 ads to find one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just dont buy the 7620 someone has up for $3500cdn because its not black :lol:

keep an eye out on northerner guitars, Canadian store that gets interesting used pieces in for usually not stupid money. Even to import its probably cheaper than stateside.

Last edited:

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Pretty much any J.Custom RG7, if you're not too picky as far as color and top quality you can find "used Prestige-esque" deals.

There's the AX7521, but on top of being on the rarer side you'll also have to sift through literally 68,975,889,658 AX7221 ads to find one.

So are RG7s inherently fatter? Or just J Custom ones? Also... I hate the tree of life inlay, looks like a tramp stamp, haha!

I'm very confused about Ibanez neck shapes - it's always a Wizard something.
As a side note, I remember trying the RGIT20FE, and that neck felt comfortable for me. That was at a friends place with a very brief playtime, and of course it was also a 6-string, so can't draw conclusions. That guitar has a Nitro Wizard neck - wtf is that?

So how would you say I should navigate this space - what specific neck models would suit me best?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know how the dimensions compare with the older 7620 necks to the 1527, but in a way the profile of the old necks feels a little more comfortable to me. That said, I like the string spacing a little better on the 1527.

I'm not sure if it's a difference in fretboard width or the spacing of the saddles, but the strings are closer to the edge on the 7620 vs the 1527. I find it lost noticeable on the low B string.

All in all I get along fine with any of them.

Another suggestion: it's not a prestige, but I believe the RGA7 has a bigger profile than the aforementioned guitars. The one I have is a great guitar that was good with Blackouts and even better with 707's. No trem though, if you wanted that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So are RG7s inherently fatter? Or just J Custom ones? Also... I hate the tree of life inlay, looks like a tramp stamp, haha!

As a side note, I remember trying the RGIT20FE, and that neck felt comfortable for me. That was at a friends place with a very brief playtime, and of course it was also a 6-string, so can't draw conclusions. That guitar has a Nitro Wizard neck - wtf is that?

So how would you say I should navigate this space - what specific neck models would suit me best?

J.Customs in general have slightly thicker and rounder necks compared to the greater majority of regularly available Ibanez 7-strings, and also the only J.Custom 7-strings are RGs.

There's usually little if any parity between Ibanez 6-string and 7-string necks.

But I mean, it's not like there are a million different Ibanez 7-strings, and especially not that many neck shapes, so you could just brute force it and try a handful and see if anything clicks.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Another suggestion: it's not a prestige, but I believe the RGA7 has a bigger profile than the aforementioned guitars. The one I have is a great guitar that was good with Blackouts and even better with 707's. No trem though, if you wanted that.

Second on this. I have an RGA7 that's had the snot modded out of it, it's a great guitar. The neck does feel a little chunkier than your normal Ibanez neck; more meat on the shoulders moreso than overall thickness. Not sure if that's factual or not, but I play a ton of Ibanez and it feels like it to me so take that FWIW.

Not sure about sevens but for the sixers the old Wizard Prestige neck was a little thicker. I think this got phased out around 2010, so something around that window may be better suited for what you're looking for. Don't have a whole lot of experience with their higher range 7s though unfortunately so I can't get you anything specific.

I'd also second Max's suggestion on the J. Customs. If I recall correctly the necks are usually just a tad thinner than you'd find on the Prestige models; still very thin, but a touch thicker.
I love the ToL inlay personally but they do make quite a few models without it for the folks that don't care for it. If you're not interested in a trem the RG8527FX has the Tight-End R bridge which is imo one of if not the best fixed bridge out there. Stuck with the inlays on that one, though.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Ibanez's naming convention for necks is fucking insane. They could not have possibly made it more inscrutable.

This page is a godsend: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

It's a list of every neck type and their dimensions, so you can compare and contrast the neck type(s) with which you're familiar to those of any guitar you're thinking of buying.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Ibanez's naming convention for necks is fucking insane. They could not have possibly made it more inscrutable.

This page is a godsend: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

It's a list of every neck type and their dimensions, so you can compare and contrast the neck type(s) with which you're familiar to those of any guitar you're thinking of buying.
With a lot of the 7 string necks they just copied the data from 6 string neck specs, so I'm highly suspect of that table in that regard. If you find it from a model page and the neck type is cited as "Wizard II", but it's a 7 string model, it's sure to be specs for the 6 string neck. Just a FYI to keep your brain engaged when reading them, if neck width is ~43mm it's a 6 and not a 7 neck.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The best used Prestige is a Charvel. Get a Charvel.

I like a prestige as much as the next guy, but there's something to be said for this because I think Charvel's have the most comfortable necks out there. I play better on my Charvel than my other guitars and I think it's because it fits in my hand the best.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
It's not a Prestige, but I have an RGIXL7, which has a slightly thicker neck profile than the Wizard. I personally like the Prestige neck more, but this has a little more heft to it. You run into some hit or miss specimens with the Iron Label stuff, but I was lucky enough to snag a pretty good one for cheap.

Latest posts