Recommend Me guitars with tremolos

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

You

þ
Reaction score
I recently got some money from graduation, so I thought that it would be a great opportunity to buy a guitar with a tremolo system. My budget is about $500-$600 tops, and I'm located in the US.

Some ones that I've been looking at:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-x-series-soloist-sl3x-electric-guitar
J63425XXX-P.fpx

Ibanez RG550 desert yellow
original.jpg

ESP LTD MH 350FR
esp-ltd-mh-350fr-stblk-see-thru-red-351480.jpg

But, I am also open to other options that you may recommend to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
Do you want 22 or 24 frets, and do you imagine yourself doing Steve Vai pull-ups with the whammy bar while the front row seats soak through?

You

þ
Reaction score
Do you want 22 or 24 frets, and do you imagine yourself doing Steve Vai pull-ups with the whammy bar while the front row seats soak through?
I prefer 24 frets, but I'm perfectly fine with 22 frets. And I want to do those insane Slayer esque solos that heavily rely on a tremolo.

You

þ
Reaction score
Also, I forgot to mention that I'm ok with "unconventional" body shapes, such as a V, Explorer, Warlock, etc.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You

þ
Reaction score
Definitely go used. The new stuff at $500 to $600 these days will have a lower quality trem than stuff like used MIJ Ibanez, MIJ Charvels and old MIJ Fernandes and ESPs which can easily be found within your budget, often significantly so.

Take a look at these:
https://www.musicgoround.com/p/859913/used-ibanez-rg570-mij-electric-guitar-1991
https://www.musicgoround.com/p/558588/used-ibanez-pro540r-electric-guitar
I honestly never saw the bottom one before. Was it a budget version of a Joe Satriani sig?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly never saw the bottom one before. Was it a budget version of a Joe Satriani sig?

That was what the JS was based on, the Radius model. It doesn't play anything like a JS though, it's more of a hybrid between the RG and Saber.

Reactions: You

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with an RG550. Those things are designed for maximum whammy shenanigans.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
As Max said, definitely used. Pick up an older RG550/similar or pre-2011 Pro Series Jackson (MIJ).

I like Jacksons, so I'd say look for a DK2/DK2M. The SLX is a perfectly fine guitar, but likely will require a fret dressing after you buy it and better stuff can be had for cheaper on the used market. Jackson flooded the US with tons of old pro series Dinkies in the late 90s/early 00s.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As Max said, definitely used. Pick up an older RG550/similar or pre-2011 Pro Series Jackson (MIJ).

I like Jacksons, so I'd say look for a DK2/DK2M. The SLX is a perfectly fine guitar, but likely will require a fret dressing after you buy it and better stuff can be had for cheaper on the used market. Jackson flooded the US with tons of old pro series Dinkies in the late 90s/early 00s.

Those older DK2s and DK2Ms are freaking awesome and you can find them for peanuts!

I've seen the one with the goofy flame graphic go for under $300. Definitely a bargain on a solid guitar.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The RG550 is one of the best shredder guitars ever made, it definitely plays like it's worth a hell of a lot more than $600.

You

þ
Reaction score

Do you happen to know of any used Jackson Soloist guitars in my range? I'll definately still keep the DK2(Donkey Kong 2) guitars in mind.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Do you happen to know of any used Jackson Soloist guitars in my range? I'll definately still keep the DK2(Donkey Kong 2) guitars in mind.
I don't blame you for wanting the neck through models. That's my preference as well.

There definitely aren't as many of the old pro series soloists floating around, but I do see them from time to time. The models you might look into are the SL3 or SL3MG. They weren't as popular because Jackson people tend to like bound fretboards, and at least some years those came with unbound ones. They are of similar quality to other MIJ Jackson stuff though. If you go back further than the early '00s there are some old Professional Soloists (note: "Professional" not "Pro" series). Those are getting pretty hard to find and probably have climbed in price out of your range.

I've also seen the new Indonesian made SL2s selling used in that range, on occasion. However, the consensus is still that these aren't as well made as the MIJ stuff. I had a great playing one, but it had some issues (most minor, but I unloaded it for better gear).

On the bolt-on side of things you can also look for a couple old (pre-2011) X Series models that were MIJ. The DXMG (I have one) or DKMG (archtop with piranha's teeth inlays). The DXMG is essentially the same as the DK2 from this era with passive EMGs (which suck, but can be replaced).

Even though I like soloists more than dinkies, my DK2M and DXMG hold their own with just about any guitar I've played.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
For that price range I would second the RG550 or even an old S series. The MIJ/Wizard stuff is very very solid. Very good guitars. If you have not played a Wizard neck I will say they are VERY thin and unsure if that would suit you.

I have the S and I love it but I also have a Charvel with a compound radius that I like much better.

Either way you can't go wrong with an old ibanez IMO. Just be sure they have upgraded pickups and not the stock ones.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Keep an eye out for Charvel Model 5 and Model 6s.

They're basically Soloists but made in Japan. High quality and neck-through.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I actually have a spare MIJ Jackson Dinky that I've never played and would happily sell you if it wasn't 3000 miles away on the other side of the country :lol:

Reactions: You