Recommend me something new please

• Thread starter Sketches
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sketches

Reaction score
Hey,

So when I was a teenager I was really into metal, I have since not kept up with what is out there nearly enough. I still fall back on what I used to listen to all the time but would like to catch up a little bit. Can anyone recommend me some albums from this year in the vein of: Cult of Luna, Khanate, Emperor, Opeth,Tool, Converge (ok just realised how much of a terribly mixed bag that is sorry).

Thanks for any tips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HANIAK

Reaction score
Hmmm... difficult task to present something new nowadays, but due to your list of bands I'd say you might like the following:

broj15

Reaction score
if you like Converge and black metal look no further than Plebeian Grandstand. Their first album 'How Hate is Hard to Define' is riffier and has a more metalcore vibe (as in trve metallic hardcore, not modern metalcore) while their second album that came out last year 'Lowgazers' is more black metal influenced (in the same vein as Deathspell Omega).

https://plebeiangrandstand.bandcamp.com

gorthul

Reaction score
Even though this song is more on the mellow and calm side, I highly recommend you to give the full album Grievances a listen. Some songs are damn heavy and have a very strong Converge vibe. I'm sure you will like it.

Saw this band as a support for The Fall Of Troy last month and I was all like "wtf is going on here?" when the girl started screaming and the blastbeats kicked in. :lol:

Sketches

Reaction score
That's my work listening sorted for the day. Thanks guys. I will report back on the recommendations once I have checked them out.

Sketches

Reaction score
if you like Converge and black metal look no further than Plebeian Grandstand. Their first album 'How Hate is Hard to Define' is riffier and has a more metalcore vibe (as in trve metallic hardcore, not modern metalcore) while their second album that came out last year 'Lowgazers' is more black metal influenced (in the same vein as Deathspell Omega).

https://plebeiangrandstand.bandcamp.com

This is EXCELLENT. just bought the album on bandcamp. Gutted the vinyl is sold out. Thanks for the tip!

Sketches

Reaction score
Even though this song is more on the mellow and calm side, I highly recommend you to give the full album Grievances a listen. Some songs are damn heavy and have a very strong Converge vibe. I'm sure you will like it.

Saw this band as a support for The Fall Of Troy last month and I was all like "wtf is going on here?" when the girl started screaming and the blastbeats kicked in. :lol:

Rolo Tomasi are one of those bands who I had heard some stuff and enjoyed but for some reason never gave a thorough listen. This song is great though, will get grievances on my iPhone for the walk home. Thanks for the reminder.

Sketches

Reaction score
Hmmm... difficult task to present something new nowadays, but due to your list of bands I'd say you might like the following:

Need to check out the new Ihsahn, not listened to any of it. To be honest the other two didn't grab me. Thanks for the tips though.

Cake Machine

Banned
Reaction score
CULT OF LUNA -
ISIS - Panopticon / Oceanic
NEUROSIS - A Sun That Never Sets
TWIN ZERO - The Tomb To Every Hope

CONVERGE -
TRAP THEM - Seizures In Barren Praise / Darker Handcraft
BOTCH - We Are The Romans
DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN - Miss Machine onwards
also check the Deathwish Records roster. Jake Bannon from Converge's label, hosts quite similar bands.

Emperor/Tool/Opeth though, all very idiosyncratic. I'd recommend delving into Devin Townsend's illustrious catalogue there. So much to chew on.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
If you like Plebian Grandstand, another excellent band that merges black metal with hardcore is The Secret

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^Actually now I realize that wasn't even the track I was thinking of I really wanted to post this one:

(I can't hear youtube at my work computer)

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

One of my favorite breakdowns in this (the first one)

There's also Gaza, Crowpath, Torch Runner, etc

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Don't think there's been too much great BM out this year. The new Deafhaven is out in three weeks though. The latest Cradle of Filth is worth a listen and also the last Enslaved album. I also enjoyed the Ahamkara release.
You might want to catch up with Saor, Fen, Carach Angren, Winterfylleth, Blue Aus nord etc

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^I thought the new Krallice album was baller. And Enslaved.

broj15

Reaction score
Don't think there's been too much great BM out this year. The new Deafhaven is out in three weeks though. The latest Cradle of Filth is worth a listen and also the last Enslaved album. I also enjoyed the Ahamkara release.
You might want to catch up with Saor, Fen, Carach Angren, Winterfylleth, Blue Aus nord etc

I heard that latest deafheaven track and it makes me kind of skeptical but I'm still going to try and hold out hope.

Not sure if OP will be down with this, but I've been digging As The Sun Sets quite a bit lately. Imagine if you took Danza, Ion Dissonance, and The Number 12... and threw them in a blender and then you decided to take a bath with that blender. Several of the members went on to form Daughters so there's that.

gorthul

Reaction score
Another band I have to recommend, simply because the new album that is going to be released on Sep. 19th is pure awesomeness: Regarde Les Hommes Tomber

This french band mixes Black Metal with Sludge and Post Rock/Metal.
The first album was good, the new one is absolutely outstanding. It reminds me quite a bit of "White Tomb"-era Altar Of Plagues.