Recommend some V’s

• Thread starter dhgrind
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dhgrind

Reaction score
Criteria:

Any pointy V
25.5 inch scale
Floyd rose.
24 frets
Preferably set/thru
A bonus is locking tuners, stainless frets and a case/bag and no pickup rings

I’ve got an itch that only a sharp v can itch.
Some v’s I’ve considered
Solar V
Ltd black metal arrow
Jackson rr (insert model)

I plan on upgrading the following:
Floyd > gotoh 1996t
Pups > fishman moderns
Locking tuners (if not equipped)
QoL - Schaller sureclaw + strap locks + noiseless springs

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Evil Chuck

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Ola is still personally checking each guitar at the factory, I'd get the Solar V1.6FRC. It looks like a solid upgrade platform, although I'm not sure about the pickup wiring (not familiar with Fishmans).

dhgrind

Reaction score
If Ola is still personally checking each guitar at the factory, I'd get the Solar V1.6FRC. It looks like a solid upgrade platform, although I'm not sure about the pickup wiring (not familiar with Fishmans).

Word on the grapevine suggests he is not personally checking quality anymore. Definitely a solid platform to turn into a real metal workhorse. Wiring should be easy enough.

Walter W.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Could you elaborate why? I’m not familiar with the brand but I’ve heard some people are pretty happy with them.

I've never played a Solar, but I've seen a crap ton of YT videos of people buying one and every one I've seen people are very pleased with his guitars. I've been following Ola on YT for several years and I think he wants to provide people with good quality metal guitars. I'm pretty sure he has some models with stainless frets. Plus they look metal as f**k.

Pat

Reaction score
Criteria:

Any pointy V
25.5 inch scale
Floyd rose.
24 frets
Preferably set/thru
A bonus is locking tuners, stainless frets and a case/bag and no pickup rings

I’ve got an itch that only a sharp v can itch.
Some v’s I’ve considered
Solar V
Ltd black metal arrow
Jackson rr (insert model)

I plan on upgrading the following:
Floyd > gotoh 1996t
Pups > fishman moderns
Locking tuners (if not equipped)
QoL - Schaller sureclaw + strap locks + noiseless springs
The Chapman MLV Pro looks pretty cool, though it's more of a classic Gibson style V than a 'metal' V

xzacx

Reaction score
Not sure what your budget is, but if you can swing it, a used KV2 will blow anything away in the $1,200-1,400 range which I see them go for—sometimes even less. IMO anyway.

jwoods986

Reaction score
^ My first thought was a KV2 also, OP just be aware that they do not have jumbo frets.

dhgrind

Reaction score
The Solar V is the only one with a nice forearm bevel and I'm a mega sucker for reverse headstock

I love me some forearm bevel too tbh.

Budgetwise not a huge issue but I was hoping to stay under 1000$ just because I’ve got like 400$ in upgrades planned.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of the rr (see profile pic) but that’s a custom shop. If you can find a USA made one I’d say go for that. But for around a grand I’d go solar.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I love me some forearm bevel too tbh.

Budgetwise not a huge issue but I was hoping to stay under 1000$ just because I’ve got like 400$ in upgrades planned.
I feel ya. Not to mention I am one of those people who has said before, "I'll never spend that much money on an Indonesian guitar"

And truth be told, I've never even touched a Solar. I have no idea what they are like. But a few months ago I was V hunting and I noticed that the Solar has such a nice looking bevel.

Actually, I just now remembered that at that time I actually did notice some other V's with bevels.

Fernandes Vortex
DBZ Cavallo

dhgrind

Reaction score
The Chapman MLV Pro looks pretty cool, though it's more of a classic Gibson style V than a 'metal' V

Not quite the style I’m looking for but I still appreciate the recommendation

Reactions: Pat

dhgrind

Reaction score
I feel ya. Not to mention I am one of those people who has said before, "I'll never spend that much money on an Indonesian guitar"

And truth be told, I've never even touched a Solar. I have no idea what they are like. But a few months ago I was V hunting and I noticed that the Solar has such a nice looking bevel.

Actually, I just now remembered that at that time I actually did notice some other V's with bevels.

Fernandes Vortex
DBZ Cavallo

Indo is def a downside but honestly I’ve gotten garbage from an American company too (looking at you company that rhymes with diesel)

manu80

Reaction score
I got 2 concorde from Gj2 , korean models and they’re really awesome. Almost japanese jackson in the good old days quality. You can score some for cheap, they pop up sometimes
Epiphone goth serie with floyd are also good in case you dont wanna spend too much

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
If you love big fat baseball bat necks, the esp alexi models are good. The Edwards models are really grate too.