Recommendations to start learning Jazz bass

• Thread starter Mwoit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations on how to learn how to play jazz bass. I am working on reading bass sheet music (slow but necessary), and I'd like to be able to do walking bass lines and be able to play with other players. Any recommendations? I've played bass in a mathcore band but I've realized I don't really enjoy playing bass in a heavy setting.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything from John Patitucci is awesome.

He's got an online lesson series, it isn't cheap, but judging from the samples on YouTube it's very in depth and has whole sections on walking bass and playing with others.

He's had a few ebooks over the years too. Absolute monster player that can teach really well too.

FwLineberry

User of Registers
Reaction score
The bass player's job in jazz is to outline the chords, so definitely start working on laying out chord arpeggios all over the fingerboard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lasik124

Reaction score
As Lineberry stated above, learn your arpeggio shapes all around the neck. Start by playing swung quarter or eighth notes over each chord with the appropriate arpeggio. Eventually you can do so while adding chromatic passing tones to get the walking bass sound.

It will take some time, but over time it becomes easy to do so on command. Start work just on one jazz standard at a time!

Best of luck!

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I liked Ed Friedland's Jazz Bass Book. I remember it presenting the fundamentals of jazz bassline construction in a way that was easy for me (primarily classically trained) to understand.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Get a teacher and actually practice the homework.