Recording Rhythm Guitars

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, yeah, I'm focusing hardcore on rhythm guitar recording right now. Some of you guys said you liked the sound I created on the "Seeking 7" demo, so I figured I'd disect it here for you guys to hear how I mix to get a sound like that. Each of the three files is a little over a meg each.

So, here's a quick sample of the two tracks of direct-recorded guitar (Rocktron Chameleon patch STUDIO GAIN from that other thread). This guitar sound is the meat and bones of my recorded sound, and since it's easier to control the bass end of a guitar with a direct recording, this has substantially more bass than the miked amp sound.

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEdirectguitars.mp3

Now, here's the same part, with a miked amp. I used my Avatar 2x12 for this recording, and the mic was an AKG C1000S condenser. The Chameleon Patch was LIVE TONE from that other thread, but with a lot less bass from the sound; I cut most of the miked amp's bass when recording because it's boomy as a mofo. You'll probably notice it sounds a little nasal, but with better definition. That's OK, this was recorded to add that great CUT sound and definition to the overall guitar tone:

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEmikedamp.mp3

Here's both of them mixed together, hopefully you see that they compliment each other, otherwise we're both fucked and this was all for nothing :lol:

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEdirectandmiked.mp3

Finally, this was posted before, but here's the entire demo, with the bass (maybe too much bass) and the drum loop added in:

http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/VINCELUPONE_seeking7.mp3

So, while my sound isn't perfect, this is where I'm at right now. Comments?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
First off, nice riff, and good playing!

Second, your sound is great. Very tight and crisp. You record guitar the same way I do... direct and mic'd. For my band's demo, I'm tracking guitar with
1) direct from GNX3
2) Shure SM57 slightly offset from 12" speaker cone Peavey 50W amp
3) MXL 990 set back between 1-3' for a bit of top-end, bass, and ambience.

Yields a similar, rich, lively sound. I obviously like this approach, like you do :yesway:

Final comment... I hate the drums on that demo! Too much reverb, too much on-the-beat snare (IMHO :wavey: ) But! I'm JUST learning drum sequencing (I have some experience with looping, but nada with sequencing) so I can't be too judgemental. I guess it's just, since I a) also play drums, and I b) play guitar every week with a live drummer, and c) we do music sort of similar to what your demo sounds like, and d) the live drums (both overall sound and technique) sound nothing like those drums loops in your otherwise-excellent demo... eh, it throws me off.

I'd half-time the snare, try to get a little more backbeat feel, a bit more kick perhaps? And ditch the 'verb. Go for a smaller room sound if anything (Again, my not-so-humble but ever ig'nant opinion :lol: )

But back on topic, which is your GUITAR sound, great sound and nice playing!

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
We all start off as guitarists. On our journey we often learn new roles in addition to guitarist. Maybe you learn songwriting, or producing, or engineering, or live tech, or whatever. I think in the end though, every new role I've learned in music has made the others better.

My tone when I first started out was your typical bedroom rockstar. Tons of bass & highs and no mids, but that's what you need to hear when you're all by yourself. Then I joined a band and had to learn to make my tone fit in with other musicians so I could be heard and contribute sonically.

Then I started to dabble in recording and I had to learn where the guitar should sit in a mix and what it's sonic role is. The deeper I get into studio recording the more I realize how it's all just a sonic jigsaw puzzle.

You can do so much by adding textures or frequencies using specific instruments, amp settings, octaves, whatever it takes. If you were to listen to those tracks individually you'd think I had my head in a trash can when I recorded. They just sound like shit! But, just like this example, when it's all put together it's just where it used to be.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice tones :D Very heavy, yet clear as well (kinda what I try to achieve in my own tones). I used to play a lot with a friend who was a Les-Paul-and-Mesa/Marshall kind of guy, and always made fun of how bright my guitar sound was, since he preferred really bassy tones. But the two of us together sounded awesome. That shut him up :lol:

Though, just out of curiosity, are we supposed to be able to hear the click track in the full mix?

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Final comment... I hate the drums on that demo! Too much reverb, too much on-the-beat snare (IMHO :wavey: ) But! I'm JUST learning drum sequencing (I have some experience with looping, but nada with sequencing) so I can't be too judgemental. I guess it's just, since I a) also play drums, and I b) play guitar every week with a live drummer, and c) we do music sort of similar to what your demo sounds like, and d) the live drums (both overall sound and technique) sound nothing like those drums loops in your otherwise-excellent demo... eh, it throws me off.

I'd half-time the snare, try to get a little more backbeat feel, a bit more kick perhaps? And ditch the 'verb. Go for a smaller room sound if anything (Again, my not-so-humble but ever ig'nant opinion :lol: )

But back on topic, which is your GUITAR sound, great sound and nice playing!

Yeah, the drums are just there as a revolving loop. I didn't do anything special with them like I did on my album. If you want to hear my real drum programming skills, head on over to www.vincelupone.com and download some of my mp3s from my last album, they're completed songs with completed drum tracks.

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar sound, it's always hard to get one you're happy with.

eleven59 said:
Though, just out of curiosity, are we supposed to be able to hear the click track in the full mix?

Yeah. It's a demo I did for my drummer and bassist to practice too, so it's always best to have the click on it. No way is it a finished product by any means :) It's just a good experimentation with miked cabinets.

TheReal7

Mr. Melody
Contributor
Reaction score
morecowbell.gif

CaptDUCKSexy

Banned
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
You'll probably notice it sounds a little nasal, but with better definition. That's OK, this was recorded to add that great CUT sound and definition to the overall guitar tone:
Of course that's okay. That's the point in most cases. You make two tones that are annoying by themselves but when put them together it makes you feel all warm inside. I like to use a thick sound a really tight annoying sound to bring definition to the thick sound.

I should go listen to your files now... :shred:

CaptDUCKSexy

Banned
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
OK, yeah, I'm focusing hardcore on rhythm guitar recording right now. Some of you guys said you liked the sound I created on the "Seeking 7" demo, so I figured I'd disect it here for you guys to hear how I mix to get a sound like that. Each of the three files is a little over a meg each.

So, here's a quick sample of the two tracks of direct-recorded guitar (Rocktron Chameleon patch STUDIO GAIN from that other thread). This guitar sound is the meat and bones of my recorded sound, and since it's easier to control the bass end of a guitar with a direct recording, this has substantially more bass than the miked amp sound.

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEdirectguitars.mp3

Now, here's the same part, with a miked amp. I used my Avatar 2x12 for this recording, and the mic was an AKG C1000S condenser. The Chameleon Patch was LIVE TONE from that other thread, but with a lot less bass from the sound; I cut most of the miked amp's bass when recording because it's boomy as a mofo. You'll probably notice it sounds a little nasal, but with better definition. That's OK, this was recorded to add that great CUT sound and definition to the overall guitar tone:

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEmikedamp.mp3

Here's both of them mixed together, hopefully you see that they compliment each other, otherwise we're both fucked and this was all for nothing :lol:

http://www.vincelupone.com/other/VINCELUPONEdirectandmiked.mp3

Finally, this was posted before, but here's the entire demo, with the bass (maybe too much bass) and the drum loop added in:

http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/VINCELUPONE_seeking7.mp3

So, while my sound isn't perfect, this is where I'm at right now. Comments?
I do think there may be too much bass still. The way I figure is that you'll never truly be happy with anything, so just find something that's better than gov't work (doesn't compete with other sounds) and the fans will appreciate it.

Plus, if you spend too long looking for that "perfect" tone, you'll put it on every song and how boring is that...by track 3 people's ears will totally notice. Just pile up a couple sounds that work, and then go through later and redo some parts with completely different sounds so that part changes are a little more defined and the song ends up breathing more.

Since you're really into direct recording, I might recommend a tube pre-amp for various parts so that you can get a real warm and punchy sound from direct.

:idea: