Rectifier vs 6505+

• Thread starter Vstro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shaman

Reaction score
A lot of the people I've been talking to are telling me the 90's rectifiers are the only way to go.

Nah, a lot of the hype surrounding the 2channel Rectifier's come from guys, who have one, then they go and try a 3channel Recto with the same settings they use on their old 2channel head.

If the guy was using the red channel with a lot of presence dialed in with his 2channel Recto, that would sound horrible on a 3channel head because the red channel on the 3channel head is completely different from the red channel on a 2channel head.

I remember talking with people who were about to sell their 3channel Recto's because they were using settings Andy Sneap used when tracking Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World album. Yep, Andy Sneap used the red channel on a 2channel head, so using those settings on a 3channel head would sound like ass.

The orange channel on a 3channel heads is a lot like the red channel on the 2channel heads, and once I told the guys that, they fell in love with their 3channel Recto's again.

So a lot of the talk about the 3channel heads being fizzy as hell comes from people who didn't know that the presence control on the red channel on the 3channel heads is SUPER aggressive. I mean, 9o'clock is usually as high as I ever go.

99% of the time I use the orange channel on my 3channel Triple when going for a smooth, chunky metal rhythm tone.

So if you get to try a 3channel Recto, remember that the presence control is damn aggressive on the red channel (turn it completely off and gradually turn it up) and try the orange channel instead. The orange channel is pretty much identical to the red channel, it's just smoother due to a more mellower presence control.

Oh, and I use a Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" (the oversized one) cab with my Triple Recto. For me, the Mesa cab has been the best sounding cab for pretty much any amp I have used with it. For me that is! I do own an Orange PPC412 as well, and the Triple does sound good with it, but I do prefer the Mesa cab.

Vstro

Reaction score
I want to dude, we're playing some Xbox 360 at our friends house right now.

Nah, a lot of the hype surrounding the 2channel Rectifier's come from guys, who have one, then they go and try a 3channel Recto with the same settings they use on their old 2channel head.

If the guy was using the red channel with a lot of presence dialed in with his 2channel Recto, that would sound horrible on a 3channel head because the red channel on the 3channel head is completely different from the red channel on a 2channel head.

I remember talking with people who were about to sell their 3channel Recto's because they were using settings Andy Sneap used when tracking Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World album. Yep, Andy Sneap used the red channel on a 2channel head, so using those settings on a 3channel head would sound like ass.

The orange channel on a 3channel heads is a lot like the red channel on the 2channel heads, and once I told the guys that, they fell in love with their 3channel Recto's again.

So a lot of the talk about the 3channel heads being fizzy as hell comes from people who didn't know that the presence control on the red channel on the 3channel heads is SUPER aggressive. I mean, 9o'clock is usually as high as I ever go.

99% of the time I use the orange channel on my 3channel Triple when going for a smooth, chunky metal rhythm tone.

So if you get to try a 3channel Recto, remember that the presence control is damn aggressive on the red channel (turn it completely off and gradually turn it up) and try the orange channel instead. The orange channel is pretty much identical to the red channel, it's just smoother due to a more mellower presence control.

Oh, and I use a Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" (the oversized one) cab with my Triple Recto. For me, the Mesa cab has been the best sounding cab for pretty much any amp I have used with it. For me that is! I do own an Orange PPC412 as well, and the Triple does sound good with it, but I do prefer the Mesa cab.

I see, i think i'm going to have to go to a guitar center and plug into one and hear it for myself. What kind of settings do you recommend for heavy orange channel tone? Do you use a boost pedal or just straight in?

Shaman

Reaction score
I see, i think i'm going to have to go to a guitar center and plug into one and hear it for myself. What kind of settings do you recommend for heavy orange channel tone? Do you use a boost pedal or just straight in?

I do use a boost ( a Maxon OD808 or an Ibanez TS9 ) and with a Recto, the way you pick makes a huge difference as well. They are pretty unforgiving amps, you really need to have a good, heavy picking hand to get the best out of a Recto.

Settings, well, maybe something like:

Orange channel, modern mode, bold mode(on the back of the amp) silicon diodes (also at the back of the amp)

bass: 12o'clock
mids: 11:30
treble: 11o'clock

Presence: 1o'clock
gain: from 10 o'clock to 12o'clock Like I mentioned, the way you pick makes a huge difference, the harder you pick, the more drive you get.

The settings I use with my boost:
overdrive: off
tone: 10o'clock
level(balance on the Maxon): 12o'clock

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
don't be afraid to try other mesa's too!

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
don't be afraid to try other mesa's too!

^ this:agreed:
I loved the Recto I had, but I sold it as soon as I got my Mark III.
with a boost in front and EQ'ed correctly you can get a serious
nasty tone out of them, much heavier than you would think. Same goes for the Mark IV as well. oh I sold my 6505+ too when I got my mark III,
it started collecting dust.:cool:

Reaction score
dont get the 6505, get the mesa...the 6505 is being used by waay to many bands, there sound makes metal reek of peavey.

I recomend madison (as always LOL)

Please tell me this is just in a joking way.

There's a shortage of metal Mesa users?

Fiz

Reaction score
A while back I was struggling with finding the right amp too. After trying at least a dozen high gain amps, I got a little frustrated. Then I started thinking on my favorite albums and their guitar sounds and tadaa, I knew Peavey was the way to go.

In Flames - Clayman, Opeth - Blackwater Park, Gojira - The Way of All Flesh, Sentenced - Down etc..

While there are plenty of pretty awesome albums recorded with Mesa, like DHIADW, I felt more at home with the Peavey sound.

Combined with good PUPs on the guitar, biased right, retubed (people really should try 12AU7 or 12AT7 instead of 12AX7 if they need good cleans off a 5150 II / 6505+..), this is the sound for me. It just took me a while (and some soulsearching) to realize it.

Vstro

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to try as much as i can. With the exception of the madison's.... Don't get me wrong i still love the peavey but i want to explore other things.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
it's ok to explore - a 5150 won't be hard to find :)

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I've been liking the tone on Architects new cd "Hollow Crown". Whitechapel has always had good tone in my opinion but i know their using the 5150 III.

if its any worth, i believe hollow crown was done with a diezel VH4 but i may be mistaken

Reaction score
Ive had both still have the 6505, the recto is more versitile but I couldnt deal with the loosness of the bottom end , the 6505 is just nastier and cuts through like a knife where I sometimes would get lost with the rec, and no my mids arent scooped. To me if its onl metal go for the 6505.

Oh, and I use a Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" (the oversized one) cab with my Triple Recto. For me, the Mesa cab has been the best sounding cab for pretty much any amp I have used with it. For me that is! I do own an Orange PPC412 as well, and the Triple does sound good with it, but I do prefer the Mesa cab.[/quote]
yep best sounding cabs,imo, with any amp

Reaction score
Just my .02, but I played a 5150II for about 4 years, and decided I wanted a new head, and was really bitten by the mesa bug. After finally finding a music store that stocked a mesa dual and triple rec, a peavey JSX and 6505, I proceeded to sit down with each on the same cab and compare. The 6505 was very similar to my 5150II, as expected. They are just uber nasty and a great tone for metal overall. The dual and triple recs were very similar, as expected, and to me had a more refined smoother tone than the 6505, yet still great for metal. You just had to crank the mesas a lot more to get the tone from them, and you have to be careful with their mids. Kinda touchy, easy to have way to many eq'd in. in this respect, if the 6505 and mesa's were the only 2 I were comparing, it would have been tough. I have somewhat of a bias toward Peavey, because i live 2 hours from their headquarters, and their service department is Amazing, plus the 6505 was $800 cheaper, but i think overall, since I was wanting a mesa, and if I had no bias toward peavey, I probably would have gone with mesa, that is after I figured how to come up with another $800 haha. They sound really nice, But like I said, for $800 cheaper, its gonna be really hard to beat a 6505. There's a lot of cool stuff you can buy with $800 haha.

On a different note, When I tried the JSX, I was blown away. The pure ballsiness of it are great. I was sold at that moment I heard it. All the nastiness of the 6505, but with a big scrotum attached. Not quite as much gain, and a little more refined, but it was perfect for me.

chips400

Eats emo's for lunch
Reaction score
I would say recto even though im a MESA fanboy.(but I dont own one yet.....)

EDIT: though if could choose one right now it would be the 5150II it would be better for me. Im really only in love with
the smaller mesa heads, like the mark(etc), nomad, and f-50.

Vstro

Reaction score
Yeah i think that I'm going to end up getting a 6505+ just because i can get a new one for dirty cheap.. and I'm pretty broke right now. I played a few Rectifiers and they sounded good, I'll probably look into getting one a little later down the road.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
if you want both, wait a while and find a framus cobra :)

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Get both, run them in a stereo setup. Its absolutely sickening how awesome they sound together. Keep the Vader also, sick cabs.

The Mesa cabs get a lot of hype, but they aren't any better than most V30 cabs, just deeper and less highs. They are still kinda boomy/flubby with their bigger low end, they are just darker in the high end seemingly getting rid of that upper mid spike that kills.

The Vader cabs are just clean, clear and loud with a good balanced EQ. Stick with them.

Edit: Forgot to mention I own a Triple Rec now, and used to own a 6505+. I in no way regret getting the Recto, but I really miss my 6505 some days. When I get another I'm getting the lead channel restored to mk1 specs (its a bit darker, more mids and gain) and a bias mod too (opens up the power amp so it runs a lot cleaner. Crossover distortion isn't my bag.)