Refinishing My 2x12 cab - input wanted

• Thread starter Blasphemer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2x12 Avatar Contemporary for a pretty great price, but really hated the tolex /grillcloth combo. It was white with fender-silver grillcloth (yuck). Today I started the stripping process,and got pretty far. Still need to do some more fine sanding, but now I’m not sure what color I want to go for. I was thinking a darker stain, like on an Emperor:
f01ea664101dcefd5c37cada81c8d41b.jpg

I’m not sure how well that will go on the slightly dull-grained pine the cabinet is made out of, though.
A lighter finish like this one could look really nice:
New_2671_010.JPG

I also thought about plain tungoil or linseed oil, but I’m open to suggestions. I’m not extremely worried about protection. I’ll put some hard poly on it, but it’s mainly to be used live; it’s gonna get some battle scars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
If you’re putting poly on it anyway, epoxies can be really dent and scuff resistant, you can coat it in some 2 part epoxy (West System or similar). I refinish commercial/business and bar countertops with this stuff. Makes plywood near bulletproof if you’re gonna be gigging...?

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Colored stain (red, blue, purple, green etc) could look super cool too...unless you’re not into that sorta thing

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Take a propane torch to it, and use a stiff wire brush to scrub back the black. You’ll get deep black grain with a dark brown look similar to the Emporer.

Phantom

Reaction score
Pine tends to be blotchy, so if you're intent on staining the cab as is, use a pre-stain conditioner. You could also cover it in some veneer, that way the grain is nicer to look at. I would say, if you plan to gig or even just move it frequently, just use tolex.