'Reflections' for Cello Quintet - My first classical recording with score video

• Thread starter Winspear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm sharing a piece I composed for string quintet that will go towards the death metal EP I'm working on.
I am inspired by composers such as Scriabin, Ligeti, and death metal bands like Gorguts. This piece began life as the initial descending hexatonic theme and variations upon it, and was developed from there in an improvisatory fashion over a couple of days. The structure and ending is a little odd - it will overlap into another piece.
This is the first music I've ever had recorded by somebody else (aside from drums for said EP so far), so that was a really interesting and pleasant experience with Leos Strings and their engineer (who I would recommend!). They are a string quartet and Rachel the manager & cellist overdubbed the second cello.
I'd love feedback including the production too, as I have never mixed this kind of music before. It was a simple enough job to edit and mix however, quite refreshing coming from a life of metal production - just tricky to choose and dial in reverb!
I notated and edited the score in Sibelius, graphic editing in Photoshop and score animation in Premier, I hope you enjoy :)
If you like, you can follow my project page on Facebook which is just a placeholder right now but will document production of the record. https://www.facebook.com/EtherealEntityUK/

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
gives me kind of a bernard herrmann or a rachmaninoff vibe. kind of angular and dissonant with a lot of tension

Edika

Reaction score
Waiting for the monsters to jump at me at every step and corner! The production sounded really crisp and alive but I heard this on my phone. Will try later with some headphones or on better speakers.

I agree with KnightBrolaire, the piece builds up a lot of tension and is quite dissonant and I assume the song following this will be Death metal fury.

In any case interesting composition and nice production.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thanks very much both! :) I do also enjoy Herrmann and Rachmaninoff, and you are right Edika the last chord will be the first chord of the most relentless track.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
dunno if you've seen this but luc lemay from gorguts just released a composition for violin/viola/cello

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I had actually seen that yesterday, I love Luc so much. Battle of Chamdo is one of my favourite string pieces.