Rekindling my relationship with my 5150

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
After letting it collect dust for quite some time I decided to completely retube my 5150 and am very pleased with the results. I've had lots of different tube configurations in it before with mixed results but this time the JJ 6L6GCs and mixture of preamp tubes including a Tungsol in V1 really seemed to do the trick for me. It seems much less nasal and hollow sounding than before.

It will never push my Mark IV aside as my primary but at least it's good enough as an alternate. It is a paperweight no more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
My settings change all the time depending on the volume and the cabinet I'm running it through. I've pretty much tried everything at one point or another. I generally run with a fair amount of resonance and mids though but that may be a hang over from previous efforts to beef it up a bit. I don't find though that the 5150s eq has a dramatic affect at least not as compared to some of the other stuff I have or have had.