Replace 18v EMG 707s with ... ?

• Thread starter Austin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I done heaps of research but unfortunately do not have access to guitars with EMG X series or Fishman Fluence pickups.
I know this is a subjective question, but I'm about to order a Kiesel (with an Evertune bridge) and though I very much like the sound of EMG 707s at 18v, I didn't care for them at all at 9v -- they were too compressed and electronic-sounding. I'd like to try something else, mainly in order to get away from two batteries. Plus with how large the Evertune mechanism is, there isn't much room for two battery holders.
In any case, is there a 9v active pickup you'd recommend that sounds similar to 18v EMG 707s? I play through a Triple Rectifier or 5150 and mainly play metal in standard B tuning.
I read on forums that players often prefer the 18v mod over the EMG X series, so that has me a little uncertain.

Thanks in advance!
Austin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I'd say in the EMG universe, you may wanna try the 57/66-7. They have the same uncompressed quality of the X-series and sound really good, Jeff Loomis used them for a while after a long time with 707s. He also has SD blackouts sig set that you may wanna check out.

Now, if you haven't heard/tried Fishman Fluences, then let me tell you they are nothing like EMGs. If you can afford them, you may wanna try the Modern set, as well as the Tosin set for 7-string. In addition to sounding sublime, they have multiple voicings, which makes them super versatile. Keith Merrow's Fluence sig is also coming out real soon, if you could wait, you could consider them as well.

Austin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I am very interested in the Fishman Fluences and may take the plunge, but like you mentioned I wondered which model I'd prefer. I wish we had a good guitar store around here where I could play some. I'll ask around and see if any local guys I know play the EMG 57/66-7. Cheers

Austin

Reaction score
I'd say in the EMG universe, you may wanna try the 57/66-7. They have the same uncompressed quality of the X-series and sound really good

+1 on the 57/66 combo. I have them in my main 6-er and my 7.
Very consistent across both platforms, nice & dynamic, great detail.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going in on that set; I'll post my guitar and opinion of its pickups once I have them. Cheers

Latest posts