Replacement for 8-string BKP Juggernaut?

• Thread starter laxu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
So I'm not happy with the excessive midrangyness of the BKP Juggernaut in the bridge position of my Skervesen Shoggie 8. It's a fine pickup if most of what you play is extreme metal but for everything else it is pretty honky and I can't dial that out without messing the tone of the BKP Mule in the neck.

Which BKP pickup would you recommend as a replacement if I want something more tonally balanced? I would like to stick with BKP because it needs to be fanned fret pickup. For reference some of my favorite pickups are the SD Custom 5 and Suhr Doug Aldrich.

larsmul

Reaction score
If your guitar has a good acoustic sound , you could try the Lace X-Bars , they can do everything with clarity , precision of a low resistance pickup , broad EQ .

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
holy diver is a pretty versatile and balanced bridge pickup, but I can't really comment on the 8 string version.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
If your guitar has a good acoustic sound , you could try the Lace X-Bars , they can do everything with clarity , precision of a low resistance pickup , broad EQ .

I had X-Bars in a Strandberg Boden 8-string I had but felt they were pretty low output compared to the passives I had in other guitars. It's not a bad idea to try them again though if they would be a drop-in replacement. I would like to keep the BKP Mule though, it sounds great.

Zhysick

Reaction score
If you like the SD Custom 5 I would try the Alnico Nailbomb: scooped miss with lots of highs and lows. Not going to say the character is similar but more or less the same vibe (considering the different style of the companies) and similar EQ.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I'd try the Ragnarok. Way less "honk" on the mid range, higher output than the juggs but less low mid focused and overall clearer.